Meet Me at the Cemetery – Geek Turned Athlete

Meet Me at the Cemetery

My long run was solo again this weekend. This was not by choice. My running group was meeting up at the military cemetery this weekend. I got this mixed up with another cemetery and ended up being the “crazy lady” driving around a cemetery with the windows down looking for some girls in running apparel for 15 minutes. I even creeped myself out.

After asking some other runners where the veterans’ cemetery was and driving in the opposite direction than where I was originally going, I FINALLY found it. I was 15 minutes late though, and the girls had left 5 minutes prior to me getting there. They like to wait 10 minutes after the meeting time for late stragglers. I was VERY late and certainly didn’t expect them to wait on me. I contemplated getting back in my car and skipping the run all together. Then a thought arose.

Maybe I could catch them? I took off hopeful and fast…

only to run a circle around the cemetery that wasn’t the actual trail. I ended up back at my car. Oops. That was a waste of 3 minutes. I found the real trail, and started off again in hopes of meeting my girls. Hey, I’d never been there before!!!

After about a mile in, I remembered that the Swifts’ email said that they were going to be taking a break from the roads. This meant the dirt trail. The trail that I was on was paved the entire way. There were dirt trails all over the place, and since I had no idea where anyone was, I wasn’t about to jump off the paved trail to try to find my group especially since that was my first time being in that area. It was just me with no ipod since I was planning on running with the group. Again.

I was overwhelmed by the surrounding beauty. This made it a little easier to run without my ipod. Let me tell you, I’m getting good at this “running with no music” thing. I didn’t even miss it.

There were a lot of hills though. Those were NOT fun. Then, I remembered all my fitness bloggers who live in Florida where it is not too hilly. I suddenly considered myself lucky to be always be running up or down a hill here in Spokane. This will also make me faster for Ironman Arizona. 😉

There was still fog covering the mountain tops, and it was at my elevation. Breathtaking.

I pulled out a Honey Stinger packet around mile 4, a mile before I turned around. I stole this from my husband’s stash since I was out of Clif Bloks. I don’t usually use this, and now I know why. It was WAY too sweet.

I didn’t have any water, and the sweetness in my mouth was so uncomfortable. Some “slurps” contained chunks of sugar that had crystallized since it was kinda old. I chewed the “sugar sand” and cursed the fact that I didn’t bring my camelback with me.

More fog in the road…

Right before I got to my turnaround point, I spotted these beauties.

I know that it doesn’t seem like it, but the closest one to me was 20 feet away!! The does just stared at me, and I snapped away!

The miles went by pretty quickly after the turnaround until I got to mile 10. It was an endless uphill, and my goal was to try to finish when the Swifts did so I could meet them for coffee afterwards.

I could see blonde in-shape girls running across the paved trail onto dirt trails in the distance. Maybe it was my running group? Maybe they weren’t done yet.

After making it up a horrendous hill (this was not it above), I finally spotted the nearly empty parking lot with 3 girls still in it walking towards their cars. I made it!!!! I sprinted towards my car and the girls and doubled over once I reached them gasping, “I made it! I’m sorry I was late!” They all felt bad that I had to run by myself, but that is what happens when you are more than 10 minutes late to a run! I fully accepted the consequences. And I had a nice chai tea soy latte with the girls and chatted afterwards. I’m so happy I didn’t get back in my car and drive home when I first got there. I had a great run with just me, and I got it over with!

I’m hoping I can actually run my long run with someone next weekend! haha. Third time’s a charm, right?

Thank you for all the birthday wishes on twitter! I spent this morning teaching spin and at the dentist’s office. Sounds like fun right? The hubs and I are going out to my favorite gluten free local foodie restaurant here in Spokane tonight. I can’t wait!! 😉

I hope you all had a great weekend! Here is to another productive fun week!!

• Lisa March 28, 2011, 4:16 pm

That looks really scenic! A nice way to get in a run. Glad you have sunshine out your way. :)

• genesis March 28, 2011, 4:17 pm

i love spokanes trail system and all their paved paths. that would probably be my main reason to move to spokane beside living in civilization…

hey are you doing spokane river run on 4/17?

• Nicole March 28, 2011, 8:34 pm

No, I’m doing the race for the cure that day. I need to qualify for 2nd seeding! Are you doing the spokane river run? Are they the same thing?

• Erica March 28, 2011, 4:31 pm

I think its awesome that you still got out there and ran! And I love running outdoors with no music. Its so peaceful! Awesome that you were still able to make coffee with the ladies too. Happy Birthday!
    Erica recently posted..E- Bacco Italian Cooking Class

• Alanna @ Blood, Sweat, and Cupcakes March 28, 2011, 4:50 pm

Good job on getting out there and running anyhoo! I rarely keep going when my Ipod dies, I wouldn’t be much good without one at all… I should probably try to get over that at some point!

Happy Birthday! Have a great night with the hubby :)
    Alanna @ Blood, Sweat, and Cupcakes recently posted..Cupcake Marathon 2011

• Maggs March 28, 2011, 5:51 pm

That’s something I would do… show up to the wrong cemetery. Looks like it was a beautiful run. Happy birthday.
    Maggs recently posted..A beet a day

• Linda March 28, 2011, 6:02 pm

You weren’t the only one too! When I got back on Saturday afternoon, 2 other girls had gone to the other cemetary too, and never found the Military one! Love all the pictures too, makes me happy we live where we do!

• Nicole March 28, 2011, 8:42 pm

Yes!! I agree. I felt so lucky when I was running that trail. 😉

• lindsay March 28, 2011, 6:35 pm

I think that run was meant to be solo, just to take in that scenery. Beauitful! And is it your bday??? If so, happy birthday!
    lindsay recently posted..Sunday’s Soul Food

• healthy ashley March 28, 2011, 6:50 pm

Awww I’m sorry you had to run alone! It does look like you had a beautiful run anyway :)

Happy belated bday!!

• Nicole March 28, 2011, 8:44 pm

Thanks, you are right on time!! Today was my bday!

• Amy R (Honey, Love and Other Things) March 28, 2011, 7:05 pm

Happy Birthday! And what a beautiful run! I can never get pictures of wildlife to look as close as they are in person either. Great post. :)
    Amy R (Honey, Love and Other Things) recently posted..Proof That I Am No Longer A Morning Person

• Toronto Girl West March 28, 2011, 7:16 pm

I hope you have a fantastic night Nicole – you deserve it today of all days!

FELIZ CUMPLE!!!!!!!!!!! 😀
    Toronto Girl West recently posted..Foto Friday- It’s my Birthday!!!!

• Beth March 28, 2011, 7:25 pm

That run looks gorgeous! Nice job on sticking it out even though you were by yourself!

Happy birthdaY!!
    Beth recently posted..Taper and Recovery

• natalie March 29, 2011, 12:01 am

Happy Birthday!!

Glad you had an amazing run, and a fun visit. Spokane is hilly too, huh? The hills are ridiiiiiiculous here…

I’ve never had the Stinger gel, but I absolutely loved the waffle. Granted, I was sitting there; I would imagine I would have a hard time running/chewing… Good to know it’s too sweet though.

Hope dinner was amazing!
    natalie recently posted..Monday Already!

• Karen March 29, 2011, 5:59 am

Happy Birthday! :) What a beautfiul place for a run even if it was by yourself! Awesome pics.
    Karen recently posted..Skort Giveaway from 4All by Jofit!

• Nicole March 29, 2011, 1:15 pm

Happy, Happy Birthday Nicole!! What a beautiful place to run. Have a wonderful birthday!!

• Mackenzie @ Eat. Exercise. Evolve March 29, 2011, 7:20 pm

Wow, that run looks beautiful! Also, you make a post-run chai latte sound really good! Not sure why…
    Mackenzie @ Eat. Exercise. Evolve recently posted..Vibram FiveFingers Review- Part I

• Leila @ Spinach and Skittles March 29, 2011, 8:34 pm

Gorgeous day for a solo run! Glad you caught up to the girls in the end.
    What’s your favorite gluten free restaurant here in the Spo?
    Oh, and happy belated b-day!
    Leila @ Spinach and Skittles recently posted..Weekend update

• Nicole March 30, 2011, 12:00 pm

Wild Sage. LOVE IT!!

• Kara March 30, 2011, 4:40 am

Those hills look killer!
    Kara recently posted..Things that really grind my gears

• Cyndi @ Weightless Life March 30, 2011, 6:59 am

What a beautiful run. Good for you running even though it didn’t go exactly as planned.

• Ash @ Good Taste. Healthy Me March 30, 2011, 9:26 am

Wow what a beautiful run!
    Ash @ Good Taste. Healthy Me recently posted..Blast from the Past

• gottatryit April 1, 2011, 6:26 am

Happy belated birthday! Love the photos! It looks like a great run. I’ve never tried the Honey Stinger (I usually stick with Sports Beans…which are also quite sweet). I also love to run sol, but usually I have my ipod to keep me entertained with podcasts along the way. check out my blog: http://www.gottatryit.webs.com

• heidi @ runaroundaroo April 2, 2011, 12:12 pm

Looks like a beautiful run even if it started out a bit hairy! You got a good run in and you met up with the girls. Sounds like a good ending to me! Really, I am jealous of your beautiful surroundings…hills stink, but that is beautiful!
    heidi @ runaroundaroo recently posted..Snow! Again! It’s probably karma…

• Jena April 3, 2011, 5:52 am

Oh my gosh, your pictures are beautiful! What an amazing place! I’m a Florida runner, and sometimes I wish we had some hills so I could become a stronger runner..but then I change my mind and I’m glad it’s mainly flat.
    Jena recently posted..Race Report- Suncoast Sprint