New Bike Trainer!! – Geek Turned Athlete

New Bike Trainer!!

In case you were wondering what I looked like when I went out running in negative 13 degrees windchill a week ago, this was me before the run. Sexy, eh? I wore my gloves on and off. My hands get soooo hot!

This was this past Saturday. A lot of the girls from the Swifts had a half marathon on Sunday, so Saturday was a rest day for them. It was only the 4 of us!

It was gorgeous out, and it was actually warm. By warm, I mean NOT -13 degrees. Maybe 25 degrees?

7 miles later…

A soy chai w/ a gluten free pb cookie paired with wonderful conversation. I love my Saturday morning long runs!

In other news… We finally got our trainers in the mail! Just in time for the weather to get warmer, right? haha

Sidenote: We paid for these ourselves!!

(Please excuse my empty living room and the crappy light. We are still decorating, but it does leave lots of room for the bike/trainers! I might post a better pic in the morning with natural light.)

I spent all weekend riding my bike! I love it! It seems like it is a lot harder to pedal on trainer than it is outside. It is a little loud, but not that bad a all. I was expecting it to be too loud to watch TV. I want to get a smooth tire, and I know that will help with the noise level.

Also, my hubs put aerobars on my bike, and I used them for the first time. I know, I can’t believe I did my half ironman last year without aerobars too.

I love the fact that I don’t have to drive to the gym to get a good bike workout in when the weather is bad. ;) I can just put on a movie and spin away!

Do you have a trainer? How is your winter/spring training going? Is it getting warmer where you are? I hope it gets warmer here soon!

P.S. It was great hearing from some of you regarding some of your ABC’s! I’m glad you don’t think I’m a freak now that you know a little bit more about me as well. ;)

• Erica March 8, 2011, 3:40 am

Glad you had a nice run. I bet the smaller crowd was a nice, intimate change! And that soy chai looks ridiculous good. I think trainers are such a fabulous idea. I know you will use the heck out of that thing. Enjoy your week
    Erica recently posted..E- Chobani Caesar Salad- Winner &amp Pregnancy Update

• Matt @ The Athlete's Plate March 8, 2011, 3:54 am

I love my trainer! I am going to be riding it in about 20 minutes ;)
    Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..Week In Review 2-28-11-3-6-11

• Beth March 8, 2011, 4:02 am

I’m still learning to like my trainer, but it definitely helps to set it up with a tv and/or computer for lots of entertainment. It will be an awesome tool for all of your training!
    Beth recently posted..Attempting a Cutback Week

• lindsay March 8, 2011, 4:24 am

that has to be the best feeling….a nice cup of java after a cold run!
    lindsay recently posted..Finding Your Smile

• Shannon March 8, 2011, 4:27 am

ah, the trainer… i have been using mine more this year, but b/c i’m doing trainer rides at a local bike shop, definitely helps (maybe it’s the misery loves company?) :)
    Shannon recently posted..Win Some- Lose Some

• Kara March 8, 2011, 4:38 am

I have the same problem with hot hands when I run! I’m glad I’m not the only one with sweaty hands, no one else in my running group ever takes their gloves off :)

• Nicole March 8, 2011, 7:57 pm

Oh yeah, they are sweaty!! haha

• Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me March 8, 2011, 6:07 am

you are a die-hard! I can’t imagine even running in 25 degrees, let alone -13! lol

I like the bike trainer. I would be interested in trying it out. I’m hoping to get more time in on my bike once the warm weather comes around.

• Emily March 8, 2011, 7:36 am

-13 with windchill? I would die.

I have a bike trainer and haven’t used it once this entire winter. Between spinning and getting freakishly warm days to ride outside, I haven’t needed it. You guys have a great setup for the trainers!
    Emily recently posted..Half Marathon Race Report

• Nicole March 8, 2011, 7:58 pm

You are so lucky that you have been able to ride outside!!!

• Lisa March 8, 2011, 9:52 am

I do have a bike trainer! I forget which model–it’s the neon green one. It works great and it’s a good alternative for someone with a running injury (like me) and someone that lives in the rainy NW (also me). Bike trainers are good for watching tv but they are hard work!

• Megan March 8, 2011, 4:54 pm

I got a trainer for Christmas and LOVE it! Love that I can still ride when it is craptastic out. I agree, it feels harder to ride a trainer than outside. No coasting down hills :( I recommend Spinnervals DVD Sweating Buckets. It’s a great 45 min workout!

• Amanda @ Martinis At Six March 8, 2011, 5:52 pm

Wow 13 below? I can’t even run outside if its below 40… Anyway, I’ve just discovered your blog and I think its pretty fantastic, can’t wait to keep reading.

• Nicole March 8, 2011, 8:03 pm

Welcome!! Thanks for stopping by! Yes, that used to be me not wanting to run in less than 50 degrees. After living in Germany for a few years, then moving to Spokane, my temperature threshold has slowly gone up (or down depending on how you put it). ;)

• Toronto Girl West March 8, 2011, 6:26 pm

It’s FINALLY starting to seem like Spring here and I’m mighty thrilled! Mind you, we’re always a little slower to hit warm weather than you guys are. That’s when impromptu trips South happen! :P

As for training . . . the back injury threw everything off. Although, I’m going to the pool with the physio on Friday!!!!!!!!!!! I’ve been too chicken to go thus far because frankly I’m not comfortable in the water (haven’t been in a pool in 12 years)! I’m excited because everything else is not working right now!
    Toronto Girl West recently posted..Workout Jamz–the Bhangra Edition

• Adam March 9, 2011, 5:44 am

Is it too ridiculous of me to admit that instead of using a trainer or a bike, I ride a Unicycle? But when I do run I wear Skechers Resistance Runners. Since Christmas I’ve been running for 30 minutes a day using the Resistance Runners. I think they’re really great. But I was wondering what other people think about them.
    Adam recently posted..About Us

• Fit Chick Britt March 9, 2011, 10:07 am

I have a trainer but I can’t seem to find motivation to ride it. I get really bored on it (even if I’m watching TV). Do you go in with a planned workout? I can’t seem to just get on and say “Ok ride”. Do you have any pointers for motivation to ride it?
    Fit Chick Britt recently posted..Early Morning and Sweet Potato Fries

• jena March 9, 2011, 1:16 pm

Sadly it’s hot as hell already. Yesterday I did 5 miles and I felt like I was running in August. Ridic. I love summer time but it’s just not conducive to running. Sad.
    jena recently posted..4636 times

• Joanna Burgraf March 9, 2011, 1:35 pm

I am a 100% wuss, it’s about 30-40F here in Chicago and I am still too chicken to run outside. Next week I will start I will be training for a 10-mile race.

The trainer looks cool, when I was hardcore into doing tris I looked into getting one, but then stopped racing and started lifting. I think though, when I get a bigger place I would get on just so I have the option of staying indoors for a workout.

One last thing, you are inspiring me to join a weekend running group, I think I need that in my life.
    Joanna Burgraf recently posted..Four Steps for Drinking Success

• Laurie March 10, 2011, 5:27 pm

I love my trainer — I live in a city were people are great at driving like a-holes so it’s nice to be able to not worry about cars sometimes!

• Beth March 11, 2011, 9:05 pm

Riding outside always feels so much easier after sitting on the trainer all winter. I’ve been riding outside in Upstate NY at least once a week now. What a difference riding outside makes!
    Beth recently posted..Gear Review- Zoot CompressRX Recovery Tight

• Leila @ Spinach and Skittles March 12, 2011, 9:53 am

Mmmmm Rockwood Bakery, my favorite place in Spokane :) I was a barista there in college, one of my favorite jobs!

I want an indoor bike trainer. We bought one last year at REI, but it was waaaaay too loud, so we returned it. Haven’t found a quiet one yet.
    Leila @ Spinach and Skittles recently posted..Fashion Friday- TFIG!