1st Week at Work… – Geek Turned Athlete

1st Week at Work…

DSC08199.JPG DSC08201.JPG

Thank you for all your sweet comments from my last post! I know that I made the right decision last weekend, and my wounds are healing pretty well since I’ve been laying low.

I started my new job Tuesday, and so far I have come home cross-eyed with a horrible headache EVERY night. I’m guessing this is b/c I’m not used to staring a computer for more than 9 hours straight a day working with a specific software. It is a little crazy and overwhelming, but I’m really enjoying my work, so all is good. Today was the best out of all 3 days so far, and I’m guessing that I’m “building the endurance” to do this.

I feel absolutely horrible b/c I’ve missed both my masters swims and a group run this week b/c of these headaches and just overall “brain hurting” from learning a massive amount of information at once. When I get home, I literally just want to veg on the couch all night since I’ve been getting up at 5am for weights before work. It has been a little crazy because of this. I guess I didn’t expect to feel like crap and so mentally drained when I started my job? Like I said before, it is getting better. At least now I know what to expect, and I plan on moving some workouts around to accommodate my work schedule and teaching schedule a little better.

This weekend, I’ve got crazy training on the docket since the last 3 days I’ve done nothing but weights. I also have sleep on the to-do list!! Plus, studying for my job! Yes, I have to study for my job. šŸ˜‰ Heh.

And… gardening, cleaning, running errands, teaching, etc. Hmmm. I hope I can fit a nap in there somewhere this weekend. :)

Do you guys remember the guest post by my friend, Bryan? Well he needs $5,000 by Sunday, and he is almost there at $4,330!! If you can give anything, even if it is just $5, please do so. It is for a great cause, and his story is sooooo inspiring to me! Check the link out above for more information about donating. šŸ˜‰

I hope you guys are having a great week. I can’t believe it is already Friday tomorrow!!

How do you balance working and working out?? I plan on doing a post on this next week so please give me your tips!!

P.S. I look ridiculous walking down my work hallway in heels. I miss wearing my running shoes all day! haha

• Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 21, 2011, 9:45 pm

I hope that your weekend is relaxing after such a tough week!

It will get easier after you get into your groove – Best wishes! :)

• Erica April 21, 2011, 9:49 pm

The adjustment to a new schedule/new job is always tough! I’m sure you’ll be rocking through it soon. I’ve definitely done my fair share of balancing! At one point, I was working full time, teaching 5-6 class per week, trying to blog daily, and take care of the house/Josh/Frank. It was a little ridiculous. Lists and prioritizing is the only way I get through! And exercise helps with the de-stressing. Hope you have a great weekend- get in some good workouts & good REST!!
    Erica recently posted..M- Just Like Mama Used to Make

• Amy April 21, 2011, 10:25 pm

Sorry I missed the post! What job did you get? It will get easier. I get up at 0430 to get in my masters swim and warrior fitness training. I go to bed early,but I’m ok with that. It will get better!
    Amy recently posted..Tarawera Ultramarathon – Part 1

• Nicole April 22, 2011, 8:42 pm

My master swims are at night unfortunately. ;( Plus, I have to leave my house at 630 in order to get to work on time. Not much time. I’ve just got to figure out how to avoid getting these headaches in the first place. :)

• Maggs April 21, 2011, 10:29 pm

Congrats on the job. The clothes are cute. That’s one of the things I miss since I’m not working right now. Sometimes I meet friends in town for lunch just so I can get dressed up out of student clothes (pajamas for the most part)
    Maggs recently posted..Cruise Ship Ten Pounds

• Nicole April 22, 2011, 8:44 pm

I hear ya! I never dressed up before I had a job. I’m enjoying it for now, but I’m sure it will get old.

• Alanna @ Blood, Sweat, and Cupcakes April 22, 2011, 3:37 am

Love the outfits!

I always find it really difficult starting a new job or even a new semester after having some time off to keep up my training/fitness routine. Like you, my head feels like it will explode unless I just lay down and relax. That feeling usually goes away after a couple of weeks so I try not to be too hard on myself and just give into the transition period.

I find the best way to avoid going home and staying home after work is to just not go home! :) I try to take my gear with me and just go right after work, but that’s hard when there is some time between a group run or a class though. I’m looking forward to your post on balance, I could use some!

• Nicole April 22, 2011, 8:49 pm

That is also a good idea. I shouldn’t be too hard on myself. It does take a while to adjust to a change in anyone’s schedule. šŸ˜‰ I’ve got about an hour lag before my masters swim starts and when I get off from work. It is hard!

• lindsay April 22, 2011, 3:55 am

you look so stylin. I don’t know how to wear heels either. I am a klutz! Have a great WEEKEND WARRIOR training. I’m sure a nap will fit in somewhere.
    šŸ˜‰
    lindsay recently posted..High Dosage of ā€œDā€

• Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me April 22, 2011, 5:42 am

It can be tough balancing both. I’ve worked out before work and after work. Both have worked for me at various parts of my life. Right now after work is working out nicely for me. Right now is just an adjustment period for you. After a couple weeks you’ll be able to get into a routine and working out will just be a part of that routine.

I also agree with Alana. Do NOT go right home after work. Bring all your workout gear, keep in your car, and head straight to the gym from work. That works the best for me.

BTW love your outfits. Super cute!

• Mackenzie @ Eat. Exercise. Evolve April 22, 2011, 7:11 am

Balancing exercise with a full time job is *really* hard. I naturally have times where I am really good at keeping up with both and other times where I completely fail.

Here are my tips:
    -Exercise in the morning. If you need to work out twice a day then definitely leave no room for temptation after work. Bring your exercise clothes with you or lay them at home and immediately go run/bike/whatever. To make your time more efficient in the morning, make your lunch/breakfast and get everything ready the night before.
    -Mix it up. I hate my job with a burning passion, so exercise is definitely an escape for me. The more I mix it up, the more I have to look forward to/feel great after. I’ve recently incorporated yoga, and I LOVE it. Keep your body guessing, and it will definitely ease stress off of your mind (at least for me).

Good luck, and congrats on the new job!
    Mackenzie @ Eat. Exercise. Evolve recently posted..Cest la vie &amp Portobello Tacos

• Lisa April 22, 2011, 9:50 am

It’s definitely difficult with a full time job and a commute. When I was training for Hood to Coast I ran during my lunch hour. It was a great break from work, I got to run outside and have my evenings free!

Now I take a shorter lunch and get off work a little earlier to skip the nasty commute and make it to the gym early. Some days it’s a drag but I make it work.

• Megan April 22, 2011, 8:06 pm

I think it takes a good month or more for your body to adjust to a new job. I started a new job in November and I forced myself to get into the habit of working out in the AM because I knew there would be less motivation after work. I now make deals with myself – if I don’t work out in the AM, I HAVE to do something after work not matter how tired I feel. Oh, and if i workout after work, it has to be the minute I leave the office cause if I sit on my couch for one minute, it’s way to hard to get up and workout. :) Good luck with adjusting and congrats on the job!!

• Leila @ Spinach and Skittles April 22, 2011, 10:56 pm

Cute outfits!
    I hit the gym before work, and try to make my life easier at night. So on Sunday evening I prep 3 oatmeals, bake some scones/protein muffins, or make some egg sandwiches so I have easy grab and go meals. Lunch is always leftovers – and I pack it all the night before, fill my water bottles, prep the coffee, etc. so I can hit the ground running in the morning. I find my “rest” days wind up to be the days where I am running around forgetting things because I didn’t prep the night before. Sigh.
    Basically I found my groove and don’t like to get out of my rut! But I figure it is a healthy rut, so I’m sticking with it šŸ˜‰
    Leila @ Spinach and Skittles recently posted..Fashion Friday call for guest posts!

• Nrmrvrk April 23, 2011, 9:00 pm

I run or lift weights at lunch every day. With a long commute and 2 kids it’s the only time I have. I’m out of the house by 6am at the latest and back home after 6pm most nights. I can usually get a pass for one workout per weekend, especially if I work it to coincide with the young one napping or (like today) have him nap in the jog stroller while I’m pushing it. I’ll always offer to meet the wife and kids somewhere that we’re going (relatives house, YMCA, etc) and either run or bike there. I’ll occasionally blow off work and cut out a little early to get a run in before driving home, which is more of a summer thing. The wife lets me get away with 2 big races per year so I’ve been focusing on 50KM races lately as a compromise.

You’ll find your groove and get a feel for the sweet spots where you can push your hours around a little to accommodate working out.

• Nicole April 25, 2011, 3:37 pm

That is such a good idea to run/bike to certain locations where your fam is going. I feel busy enough as it is. I’m always amazed at people who have kids and work AND still do this stuff! You are amazing!