First Professional Bike Fitting!! – Geek Turned Athlete

First Professional Bike Fitting!!

I have been enjoying all the name suggestions for my new tri bike, and if you haven’t thought something up to name it yet, please comment here! If I like the name you suggest, you get a prize!

Yesterday kicked my butt!! I swam in the morning, and then had my 2 hour bike fitting in the afternoon. This wasn’t just a “I’ll measure your inseam and pick out a bike for you” fitting. This was a Fit Institute Slowtwitch (F.I.S.T.) certified bike fitting. I’m sure there are much more elaborate ones out there, but this was a lot more than I have had in the past. Basically, there was a lot me me riding, getting off, bike adjusting, and getting back on going on.

I also had the pleasure of talking with Adrianne who happened to make it to the ITU triathlon world championship last year. She pretty much places in her age group (which happens to mine) in every race she races. Pretty badass, and she was helping me become the most aerodynamic and comfortable on MY bike. I felt very fortunate. She knows her stuff.

AND, she didn’t mind taking pictures of me for my “nerdy blog.” She was really cool. I kinda felt like a naive teenager taking advice from an elder even though she was my same age! Let’s face it, I still have MUCH to learn about triathlon even though I have been doing them for 2 years.

I left the bike shop confident that my bike is going to be more comfortable than my road bike, which will in turn, make me want to ride it more equaling better race performances. I hope. πŸ˜‰

A few hours after my bike fitting, I met with the Spokane Swifts for a speedworkout. It was a HILLS day unfortunately. I know these don’t look that bad, but they hurt. Our so-called “warmup” was between a 7:30 and 8 min/mile pace for the 1st 2 1/2 miles. I was tired before we even started the “meat” of the workout which was going up 4 large hills, then 3 medium hills all on loose gravel. Yay!! Our recoveries in between were running down the hills. Of course, I was the last person to finish. I’ve pretty much gotten used to that with this group. Then a 2 1/2 mile cooldown which was between an 8 and 8:30 min/mile. Needless to say, during the jog after the workout back to my car I realized I was already sore.

Screen shot 2011-04-13 at 2.19.20 PM.png

This season is going to kick my ass, but I’m really excited about it! I have a 5K race on Sunday that I have to run in under 22:30 in order to qualify for second seeding for Bloomsday (a HUGE 50,000 person race around here), and I’m pretty sure I can do it!

In other news (just in case you missed it on twitter), I FINALLY had an interview this week, and I was offered the position! It is only part time for now, but once they get more clients, then it will go to full time. And… it is somewhat related to my environmental career field! I’m so excited to start next week! The last few months since I graduated with my masters in December have been ROUGH in the job search department. The economy is definitely not the same as before I left to Germany the end of 2007. That is for sure! Moving back to the states last summer was definitely a reality check. For those of you still searching, keep doing what you are doing!

Off to celebrate my new job with some sushi with the hubs!!

Have you ever been professionally fitted on your bike?

Do you do speedwork? It WORKS, trust me! After 3 1/2 months of running with this group, I feel so much faster than last year already!

Do you like your job? Are you job searching?

A lot of questions, but I’m feeling inquisitive today. πŸ˜‰

• Lisa April 13, 2011, 3:54 pm

Nice! I got fitted for my bike and it really does make a big difference. I see soooo many people biking in Portland with bikes that clearly haven’t been fitted for them and they just struggle. It’s a good way to get injured too.

• Nicole April 13, 2011, 3:56 pm

Oh, I agree!! It seriously makes a world of difference. It is worth the $$ too. This bike fitting is normally $150, but it came free with my bike purchase. Honestly, if I can be comfortable on the bike for 50+ miles, it is worth the $$!

• Lisa April 13, 2011, 4:04 pm

I agree! Mine was free with my bike purchase too. I can’t imagine riding more than 50 miles on something that is uncomfortable.

• Erica April 13, 2011, 3:55 pm

A professional fitting! How cool. And what a day of workouts! My behind would be dragging on the floor!!!! I don’t have a bike, but would love to get one, one day. And my full time job is pretty good, my part time teaching job ROCKS!
    Erica recently posted..E- Oak Steakhouse

• Nicole April 13, 2011, 3:57 pm

I love teaching too! I guess I never considered that a job too. So, now I have two part time jobs. πŸ˜‰

• natalie April 13, 2011, 3:59 pm

Fun, and congrats on the job! I don’t own a bike! I know, I know. I just… can’t cycle. It’s sad, I know, ha!

I LOVE speedwork. My favorite kind of workout, besides ‘just running’, if that makes sense!

I am juggling freelancing and being a stay at home mom. I wouldn’t change it for the world!
    natalie recently posted..Every Thorn has a Rose

• Janene @ OneRun April 13, 2011, 4:07 pm

Congrats on the job!! I’m new to the blog, so what is your “environmental field?” I’m in environmental education!
    Janene @ OneRun recently posted..10s

• Alanna @ Blood, Sweat, and Cupcakes April 13, 2011, 4:12 pm

wow, I would love a detailed fitting like that!

Congratulations on your new job! Very exciting! I have a year left before I finish my masters and the job hunt is already terrifying me!
    Alanna @ Blood, Sweat, and Cupcakes recently posted..Cupcake Marathon 2011

• Lynn April 13, 2011, 4:14 pm

Congrats on the job!

I graduated with my Masters in Environmental Science in May 2010, and, though I had a part time job right after graduation, I didn’t start a full time job until November 2010. I ended up moving from Washington state to northern California for the job, but it was totally the right decision, and I absolutely love my job!

• Nicole April 13, 2011, 4:42 pm

We thought about me moving to Seattle to pursue job opportunities there, but decided against it since my husband has a good job here. Unfortunately, when you are married, you have to make hard decisions like that! Congrats on your job!! I’m hoping that I will love mine too.

• Lynn April 13, 2011, 4:51 pm

I actually ended up moving closer to my boyfriend, who is still in grad school, so that was a nice bonus.

• genesis April 13, 2011, 4:21 pm

my bike fitting was the same as your too. i was on and off that sucker for a while adn then they brought out some tools and this pedulum thing for my knee positionging, etc…pretty cool and totally worth the $$$. Now i just need to buy padded bike shorts.

i havent gottent the swing of speed workout because I get too tired or discouraged.

i have a job, but am definitely looking. i want to move to a big city.

• VeeBee April 13, 2011, 4:26 pm

Hi Nicole – have just started following your blog and this is my first post! :)
    Good write up about the bike fitting – i’ve been mulling over it for awhile and have heard nothing but good things about it (well except that it’s $$). I went back to school in search of finding a better job once I get out so my official job hunt won’t be for another year. Mmmm speed work…they’re awesome on a good day but hell on a bad day!! But doing them with a group leaves you with less exit plans πŸ˜›

• Nicole April 13, 2011, 4:40 pm

Welcome!! Thank you for commenting! Hopefully, the economy will be better than it is now (I’m sure it will be) when you are ready to get out there and look. πŸ˜‰

• Matt @ The Athlete's Plate April 13, 2011, 4:46 pm

I really need to get my bike fitted. I am cheap though!
    Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..The Food Revolution

• Amber April 13, 2011, 6:54 pm

I am going through bike fittings right now. I have to go back every few weeks while we get adjusted.
    We moved a year ago after my husband was unemployed for almost 6 months. But we are now both happily employed. It is such a better life when you love your job and what you do. Though right now I am working quite a bit and having a tad of trouble with my training! Best of luck at the new job.

• MegaNerd April 13, 2011, 7:38 pm

Congrats on the new job!! :) That’s great you found something related to your career field.

I’ve always wanted to do a PRO bike fitting, but I think it would cost more than my bike! ahaha… I have a crappy used OLD steel road bike.

• Leila @ Spinach and Skittles April 13, 2011, 9:04 pm

Yay!!! I’m so excited for you and your new job! When do you start?
    I love my job, but the job search was totally depressing after I wrapped up grad school too. Before grad school I wanted to poke myself in the eye with a pencil on a daily basis because my job was so lame.
    Leila @ Spinach and Skittles recently posted..Today’s breakfast was brought to you by the letter E

• Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me April 14, 2011, 6:10 am

I haven’t got my bike fitted.

I’m going to be doing speedwork. I’m setting myself up on a good running schedule.

I’m working on some good projects at work so I’m not ready to leave yet. I will be eventually though.
    Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me recently posted..Getting Ahead of Myself

• Carrie Symes April 14, 2011, 7:10 am

Congrats on your new job!! Your bike is beautiful!! I cannot wait til I can get to the level that you are!
    I just got fitted about a month ago on my first road bike a Trek Lexa.

I have not done speedwork yet. Not yet to that level yet.
    Still looking for the right job….
    Carrie Symes recently posted..Late Monday Check In 4-11

• chloe@ 321delish April 14, 2011, 8:38 am

so cool! I am way jealous. Is biking your strongest leg? For me…it is BY FAR my weakest, so I find it hard to justify getting the bells and whistles for my bike since my not being great at it leaves me not liking it so much!

• Nicole April 14, 2011, 10:03 am

Running is the strongest for me, but getting this new bike definitely gets me more motivated to train on it!! Thanks!

• Karen April 14, 2011, 11:47 am

OHHHHH! So very jealous! I have wanted to get a professional fit for a while now. I didn’t realize it took quite that long. My fitting consisted of me sitting on it and someone saying “yep, that looks about right” LOL. Love your bike – enjoy!
    Karen recently posted..Swim Coaching Week Two

• Little Miss Runshine April 15, 2011, 4:23 am

I had a professional fitting for my road bike! It was kind of fun!
    I hope you enjoy your new bike!!!

I do speedwork and LOVE it! Adds a little variety to my workouts! I’ve noticed it helped a lot as well!
    Little Miss Runshine recently posted..REST REST REST!