Healing Up Nicely – Geek Turned Athlete

Healing Up Nicely

This weekend was filled with more running than usual since I hadn’t run all week. Part of that was because of my accident and part of that was due to the chaos that starting a new job brings.

My first run was on Saturday, and it was a 10 miler with a 3 mile tempo segment added in with my running group. Of course, the pace was pushed. It always is when I’m running with the Swifts. And of course, I was one of the last ones to finish the run. Thank goodness, one of my “slow” buddies showed up, and I had someone to run with. Unfortunately, we both had dead garmins on us, and we decided to run by feel.

This is how I trained most of the winter, but during racing season, I like to know how fast I’m going especially if I have to do a tempo run at Bloomsday race pace (a 12K race). But, it was what it was so we made the best of it. I was also battling a migraine that actually carried on from the night before. The pain had dulled a little, and I had gotten my vision back so I decided to show up.

I also brought a camelback to run with because I felt really dehydrated. And…I felt like a geek. NO ONE else EVER shows up with water whether they are running 8 miles or 18. I just don’t get it. These girls are sweeping the age group awards at races. They obviously know what they are doing. Am I just being a wimp?? Do they know something I don’t know? I’m very confused by this, and I definitely plan on talking to the coach about it. I always read that you should try to carry some sort of hydration device with you if the runs are over an hour long. I haven’t been doing this with my runs this year with my group until Saturday.

Back to the run. It felt good to be out there on the road! I LOVE running even if it hurts (in a good way, not injury-wise) sometimes. 😉 The arch under my left foot started acting up around mile 4 right before we began our fast part of the run. It is still a little bruised from last weekend. ;( Other than that, I had just some minor knee pain (also from the fall). I might be back in business!

Halfway during the speedy part of our run, my stomach started doing flips inside my body, and I used every muscle inside me to keep from exploding on the run. I guess my stomach was just upset from all the migraine medication I was taking?? After we were done with our little speed session, I ended up having to run into a church and with a very concerned urgent face, I asked to use their restroom. Let me tell you, it was the high point of my running career. NOT. At least the woman working at the church told me she “knew the feeling” and quickly lead me to the restroom.

After that I felt much better, and we finished out the rest of our run. Thank goodness, my running friend and I had a good laugh about it. Haha. It happens.

I drank all of the water in my camelbak, my head STILL hurt, and was pretty much useless until mid afternoon when it FINALLY went away. The good news is: Besides some minor pain in my knees and arch, my legs and feet seemed to be working pretty well. This is excellent news since Bloomsday is on Saturday.

On Sunday, I really felt the need to run the Bloomsday course since I have missed all the Tuesdays that my running group has run it. Since some of the neighborhoods are a little sketchy that the course runs through, I invited my husband to run with me. I know what you are thinking: Another bad run for us together, but…it actually went pretty well. He let me be in front sometimes (that has NEVER happened and sometimes it is a good ego boost for me to be in front of him), we actually talked a good portion of the run (he likes to be quiet normally during his runs), and we ran next to each other most of the run. When I shared that this run actually went well, he said, “Well, you didn’t run so slow this time.” Hmph. You can’t win ’em all! He is lucky he didn’t say that until after run because I just might have killed him as we were going up the hills…if I had been able to catch him.

Here is to a great week!! I’ve got all your suggestions about how to fit in workouts when you work full time almost ready to post for tomorrow!! If you have anymore suggestions, please feel free to comment!!

Any good workouts this weekend? How was everyone’s Easter?

• Rose April 25, 2011, 9:37 am

No way – you’re not being a wimp! Everyone’s water requirements are different and most people don’t listen to their bodies (and are dehydrated). You do what you need to do for your body! I drink a LOT when I work out and I’m always the one with a camelback on a long run 😉 May look dorky, but sure a lot better than passing out!! Good job on keeping up with your training, especially with a new job!

• Jess April 25, 2011, 9:46 am

Oh man, I seriously still don’t know you run with these Swifts, they sound SO FAST. Though, you are obviously training hard with them for your husband to say you aren’t running as slowly with him as you normally do. That’s high praise if you ask me! :-)

I missed commenting on your last post about work – but for me, it’s been harder for me to find balance with my new job that involves a very long commute. I’ve found that I’ve had to break up some workouts so I’m doing some working out in the early AM and the rest after work. I try not to make a habit of that, but at least twice a week I end up doing that or I’ll miss a weight workout or cardio workout (or core) workout I had planned for the week. Sometimes it’s kind of nice to break it up, though. How are you managing, so far?
    Jess recently posted..Friday faves – weight training DVD’s edition

• Nicole April 25, 2011, 3:13 pm

I just think I’m not coordinated enough to run fast on the trails. The roads are fine for me, but I’m “Safety Sally” on the trails = slowness. haha

Managing okay so far! :)

• Erica April 25, 2011, 9:52 am

Whoop whoop! Way to get in some awesome workouts. I miss running. I got a running stroller at my shower this week- can’t wait to USE that!! Glad the run with the husband went well. I walked & went to pump on Friday and walked outside on Saturday/Sunday. Easter was nice as well :) Just a busy busy weekend!
    Erica recently posted..E- Vegetarian Crock Pot Baked Beans &amp Easter

• Nicole April 25, 2011, 3:15 pm

Although I am excited about becoming preggers someday, I’m not looking forward to the running break that I will have to take. And I kinda hate running with a running stroller. I have taken my sister’s kids out several times in that thing. Good luck and have fun!! At least it will make your arms buff too!

• Heather (Where's the Beach) April 25, 2011, 10:52 am

I don’t understand how people run without water either. I see it all the time. I sometimes think I’m the only one with a water bottle even. No matter how hydrated I am, I always want/need water during my runs. I’d take it even on a 3-miler! And how do they take their gels/chomps without water? Or do they not? I can’t imagine that either. Maybe I’m just a high-maintenance runner 😉
    Heather (Where’s the Beach) recently posted..Fun Facts Friday – Running Randomness

• Nicole April 25, 2011, 3:17 pm

That is the weird thing too. I haven’t seen anyone eat anything either. It is SOOOO bizarre. ???

• Sarah for Real April 25, 2011, 11:08 am

Good to hear you are feeling better! I hope your head shapes up soon. So you are going to run Bloomsday and then you’ll be available to rescue me when my knee poops out halfway through, right? Hahaha… you think I’m joking.

Can’t wait for that post on tips for fitting it all in when you’re working!

• Beth April 25, 2011, 1:13 pm

The fast girls in my group don’t run with water either, and I think they’re crazy. Maybe they just run fast enough that they’re done in an hour? I have no idea, but I’ll chug an entire hydration pack during my long runs.

• Ash @ Good Taste. Healthy Me April 25, 2011, 7:57 pm

Glad to hear you’re feeling better. Haha I know that feeling. When I go hiking with Mike I basically spend my time staring at his butt ahead of me!
    Ash @ Good Taste. Healthy Me recently posted..Hello Monday

• Sana April 26, 2011, 12:22 pm

I adore your running recaps. Just adore them.

• Nicole April 26, 2011, 9:35 pm

:) I’m glad someone enjoys them! They are mostly just TMI. haha

• Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama April 26, 2011, 11:32 pm

Good luck on the Bloomsday run! I have always wanted to run this race!
    Tasha – The Clean Eating Mama recently posted..Product Review – ONE Coconut Water

• tricia April 27, 2011, 7:38 pm

I used to get TERRIBLE headaches after my long runs. I was useless the rest of the day because of them. But, I tinkered around,and started drinking gatorade the night BEFORE long runs and the headaches went away.