No More Excuses - Geek Turned Athlete

No More Excuses

I loved your comments from my last post. Some of you made great running partners with your significant others, and some, not so much just like me. I think the hubs and I are fine if we are running on the road, but on a trail, forget it! haha. Plus, my husband can go 6 months without running and still bang out a sub 6 min/mile. I go 2 weeks sans running and wanna puke on the 1st run back. I’m a weakling, I’ll admit it!

This weekend was super motivating for me. On Sunday, I ran with one of my friends from spin class. I’ve been nagging her for weeks to join my tri club, and she finally did this past week. I convinced her to come on a run with some members and myself, and she reluctantly agreed. She showed up to do a 6 miler scared and intimidated to do anything with a tri group, and she totally rocked it out. I’m so proud of her. πŸ˜‰

The first 3 miles, we ran with two other guys (the other one showed up after picture time), and it was at a pretty fast pace for her, but she hung on for dear life. When we turned around at the 3 mile mark, the other 2 guys kept going, and we were left to take it a little slower. She kept apologizing for how slow we were going, and I told her not to worry. Most of your runs should be slow!! I explained to her that I ran most of my long runs at a 9:20-9:45 min/mile pace before my 1st marathon and still managed a time of 3:48 on race day. If you don’t believe me, read this from a SUPER fast blogger.

We still finished in under an hour, and not to be too redundant, I’m so proud of her!

Since Lauren was so fearless this weekend, it inspired me to get back on track with my swimming. I’ve been avoiding it like the plague. The thing is, I don’t mind swimming and sometimes I even like it. However, it has been weeks, literally, since I’ve been in the pool. The longer I go without the pool, the harder it is go back. Also, I’ve been avoiding going to masters class b/c my tri team switched gyms very recently, and I have been using that excuse that I work out at another gym. Other excuses: I need to get waxed, I need a new swimsuit, I blah blah blah…

Not anymore. NO MORE EXCUSES!! I actually HATE my gym pool. It is dirty all the time, the management doesn’t know what is going on EVER, and the lifeguards are mean and “sheepish.” I used to lifeguard. There is no reason to be a jerk, and if you are able to save someone’s life, you should be able to think on your own. Today, I put in a cancellation request for my membership, and when it runs out, I’m switching to my tri club’s gym. I don’t know why I was clinging onto a gym that I dislike so much! There will be no excuses as to not show up to masters swim now!!

My coach is gone this week in Hawaii to train with some other athletes so this week I’m on my own. I plan to hit up the pool 4 times this week to get me back into it. This is where your help is needed. If you happen to notice me slacking on the pool time this week via my dailymile, feel free to tweet me, comment, whatever!! I’m giving you permission to nag me this week if I slip up!

The good news: I swam today!! That is 1. Got 3 more pool sessions to go!!

Do you make up excuses to get out of doing things you know you should? How do you “cut the crap” and get on with it?

• Leila @ Spinach and Skittles April 4, 2011, 10:34 pm

haha, do you belong to the Y currently? I think I recognize that water slide…
    Anyway, yay for a new running partner! I am sloooooooow, slow, slow. Otherwise I get shin-splints like crazy, so no one wants to run with me πŸ˜‰ Have fun at your new gym!

• Nicole April 5, 2011, 7:59 am

Yes, I do. I have been complaining about that pool forever, and when my tri team switched pools and gyms about a month ago, I was really happy about it, but did nothing up until now. I came from a 13 million dollar aquatic facility with 9 lanes plus and bunch of other pools where the pool admin did their job and knew what was going on. This pool has 4 lanes at the y, and they don’t have a clue. It is a joke! Do you work out at the y?

• Leila @ Spinach and Skittles April 8, 2011, 4:21 pm

I do! The pool is always filled with water aerobics or little kids whenever I go, so I can totally see why someone who actually wants to swim (novel concept) wouldn’t like it!
        Leila @ Spinach and Skittles recently posted..I need to hire a maid

• Erica April 5, 2011, 3:54 am

That is awesome that your running partner did so well! Its always fun to workout with someone new. And hooray for getting in your first swim of the week. I’m not a big excuse person….I really like to just get things done I”m dreading…I always feel better after!
    Erica recently posted..M- Food and Beer City USA

• Nicole April 5, 2011, 7:56 am

I’m usually not either. I don’t know what the deal was, but it is gone now! Gotta get it done! πŸ˜‰

• Beth April 5, 2011, 4:19 am

Nice! Recruiting people to join a club is always so much fun. Good job on getting to the pool. I totally feel you, the longer I take time off the harder it is to get back in. You’ll be back to your routine in no time!
    Beth recently posted..Shoe Update

• lindsay April 5, 2011, 4:59 am

oh the pool….hardest thing about training. hehe. Glad you got in a good session! Woohoo!
    lindsay recently posted..Sunday’s Soul Food

• Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me April 5, 2011, 5:57 am

Oh I definitely make excuses. I’ve been using them all last week in regards to the gym. I used it this morning in regards to getting up for the gym. I’ve been using them for so long I’m sick of even hearing them. HAH. So I packed up my gym stuff and plan to go after work today. If I can’t get my ass there in the morning, looks like I’ll be stuck going after work!

• beth April 5, 2011, 6:52 am

Thanks for the shout out. Now, GO GET IN THE POOL πŸ™‚ !!! for triathlon, you don’t need to swim fast, just get your swim to where you are so ready to swim the distance that it doesn’t phase you in the triathlon and you come out of the water fresh, fresh, fresh. like the swim didn’t happen. use paddles & a buoy to get strong and mimic wetsuit swimming..got it? ok, go! just kidding.

• Nicole April 5, 2011, 7:55 am

haha. I am, I am!! πŸ˜‰

Last year, it didn’t seem that bad, but for some reason I started avoiding it the last 3 weeks. I have no clue why!! I know that I can be so much better, and the only way to do it is to get my ass in the pool! If I had to swim my HIM portion now, I could, but my IMAZ portion now would not be pretty!

• natalie April 5, 2011, 8:08 am

Good job on getting back in the water. I can’t remember the last time I actually did laps. It was definitely before my husband and I even met. Crazy!

Hopefully getting your gills back will be easy!!
    natalie recently posted..Goals for Spring

• genesis April 5, 2011, 8:27 am

i always tell myself ‘i can do it later’ or ‘ill just do more later’ and then when later comes and im so slow or got a little too much cushion, then i know its time to get my ass back into high gear πŸ™‚ my motivation to not slack is to get into a great outfit…works all the time.

• Sana April 5, 2011, 8:57 am

I don’t think I am hard enough on myself, I let myself slide out of things I don’t want to do. I do this with school, my fitness and dealing with people. Gahhh! But I can only do so much at once!

Have a lovely day πŸ™‚

• Jena April 5, 2011, 10:00 am

I’ve been using my knee as an excuse not to run. I ran a half on 3/20 and was pretty hard on my knee. It was really tight and painful for a few days afterwards and then when I finally ran it was tight after the run. I’ve been scared to run because I don’t want to deal with my knee. I finally realized I’m using it as an excuse. If I would stretch properly my knee wouldn’t give me problems. Sunday I told myself no more excuses. Yesterday I ran 6 miles outsides (longest out door run since my half). I stretched a lot and today I am feeling no pain. Success. Sometimes you just have to realize that you are making excuses and decide to stop making them and get on with things.
    Jena recently posted..A little bit of progress

• Nicole April 5, 2011, 2:24 pm

Here, here!!! Good for you!

• Cynthia (It All Changes) April 5, 2011, 2:01 pm

The best way to cut the crap is to remind myself the quicker I get it done the easier it is. Also I ask Hunni to force me. I.E. I can’t watch TV until I run. He enjoys the power trip and will unplug the TV and hide the remote.
    Cynthia (It All Changes) recently posted..My Day Without Shoes

• Nicole April 5, 2011, 2:12 pm

haha. I love it!! I don’t know if I want to give him that much power!! πŸ˜‰

• Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 7, 2011, 10:04 am

Awesome run! It’s so nice to have a good group of people to run with. I need to establish the same thing.

• Sock Runner April 29, 2011, 11:16 pm

It’s always nice to have other people join you and share the passion of doing physical activities. Sometimes, I get lazy to do some jogs and exercises because I do it alone. That is my excuse for not being active most of the time. LOL. Maybe I need to convince my friends more, eh?
    Sock Runner recently posted..AutoNation SUP Challenge