Oh, Now I Remember... - Geek Turned Athlete

Oh, Now I Remember…

So, sorry I’ve been MIA this week. I was on the computer a lot this week job searching and resume/cover letter revamping. After that, I was pretty much over the computer thing. It felt great to disconnect actually. πŸ˜‰

Anyway, today the hubs and I went on a trail run together. This is not a normal occurrence because when I run with him I turn into a wimpy whiney girl and he turns into a, well, “not a nice runner” to put it nicely. I’m not as speedy on the trails as I am on the road because I’m afraid of twisting my ankle again and aggravating an old injury from my half marathon in Prague that consisted mostly of running on cobblestone. Plus, I’m just not coordinated. I admit it.

My husband, on the other hand, is VERY coordinated. He is very comfortable with his own body and all of the movements that come with it. I guess this comes from playing soccer since he was 5. My speech and debate and marching band, unfortunately, don’t compare.

Our typical runs together involve:

• Him: running at least 10 feet in front of me
  • Me: yelling, “I thought you said you were going to run with me!”
  • Him: “Well, run faster.”
  • Me: pissed off at him.
  • Him: Running off with Kai
  • Me: Practically running by myself wishing I had brought my ipod with me.
  • Me: Telling myself that I will never run with him again, then forgetting months later.
  • Him: Not understanding why I’m pissed.

DSC08166.JPG DSC08168.JPG

Just to reiterate: this is what I stared at for most of the run:

Not that it is a bad view though…

Besides my view of my husband’s butt, it was gorgeous outside. The trail was very muddy in some areas as we had some showers about an hour earlier. It was really windy though! Thank goodness we finished our run when we did because it started hailing really badly right after we got done!

DSC08171.JPG DSC08172.JPG

DSC08175.JPG DSC08173.JPG

Kai always has to wait for us. I don’t think he understands why we can’t be as fast as him! Come on, mom!!!

DSC08176.JPG DSC08177.JPG

Sigh. Beautiful. Yes, I know how lucky I am that this is literally 5 minutes running from my house.

After our little run together, I jumped on the trainer for an hour. I’ve got a run with a newbie tri club member from my spin class tomorrow!! I’m so excited to show her that this tri club will be the best thing to get her motivated!! And, they aren’t scary as I learned a couple of weekends ago. πŸ˜‰

I’m going to need your help with something next week, and I have an embarrassing confession to make. That on Monday!

I know that I’ve talked about running with my significant other before the blog. Do you run with yours? Or does he/she piss you off if you do?

P.S. I love you, honey!!

• Jenna A. | The Paleo Project April 2, 2011, 10:25 pm

Seriously, I hate running with James. He gets in coach mode and I basically fake an injury/throw up to get out of it. This post was wicked funny though, I can totally relate when I read your little dialogue… Men.

Jenna

• Nicole April 5, 2011, 8:59 am

haha. I want to do that sometimes with my hubs!!

• Sue @ Sue In Training April 2, 2011, 11:04 pm

My BF is exactly like your husband! He’s a sprinter and always wants me to run faster. That’s why I don’t run with him anymore. Well, at least until I’ve become much much faster.
    Seriously, guys! I’d rather do a bike ride with him, that works better for us.
    Sue @ Sue In Training recently posted..Oh Treadmill- How I’ve Missed You … NOT!

• Nrmrvrk April 2, 2011, 11:06 pm

I used to run with my wife when she wanted to run a half marathon a few years ago. She did her runs during the week and we ran her long runs together. She’d never been much of a runner so we ran 4 min and walked 1 the whole time. I just kept her pace with her and then went for a run on my own after she was done. She had some injuries and the half never happened. Now that we’re both healthy she’s not renewed her interest in running as of yet. (not that there’s time with two little ones). Your husband doesn’t know how lucky he is… πŸ™‚
    Nrmrvrk recently posted..Recovery- New Shoes- and Trail Maintenance

• Erica April 3, 2011, 2:55 am

GORGEOUS path. I haven’t really done any trail running, but I think I’d be really nervous about falling. Love that Kai goes with! When I was able to run, Josh and I would run together on occasion and I loved it! We plan to start again once the baby is born
    Erica recently posted..E- The Other Guys…

• lindsay April 3, 2011, 3:37 am

LOL! my husband runs like 30 ft in front. It takes me the whole freakin hour to catch up! Love the view, and sweet kai!
    lindsay recently posted..Sunday’s Soul Food

• Beth April 3, 2011, 4:03 am

Wow, that really is gorgeous!! I love trail running. I think if you do it more, you will be come more surefooted and learn to really enjoy it!

• Matt @ The Athlete's Plate April 3, 2011, 5:09 am

No significant other for me. I run solo πŸ˜‰
    Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..Cinnamon and Cayenne Crusted Sea Bass

• Theresa @ActiveEggplant April 3, 2011, 6:29 am

The same thing used to happen when I ran with my husband – we trained for and completed the 2010 Disney Marathon together & it was the WORST thing we could have ever done for our marriage! Seriously! We fought the entire time – during training AND on race day! Immediately after (or maybe during) the marathon we vowed to NEVER run together again! …A year later, we occasionally run together, but we know going into it that has to be an EASY run for him and a HARD run for me, so we only do it when our training plans align that way. Now that we have that understanding we’re much happier at the end of the run!
    Theresa @ActiveEggplant recently posted..Faceplant

• Briana (AuD Runner) April 3, 2011, 6:31 am

I found your blog recently and really like your site! Very inspirational. I lived in Germany for a little while too!

I was actually the one who got my boyfriend into running.. and now whenever we run or race together, he is always running ahead of me! He has more natural talent I suppose. I get frustrated and he doesn’t understand, but in the end, I think it’s make me a faster runner.

Your run looked great though, beautiful scenery!
    Briana (AuD Runner) recently posted..Running for a Cupcake

• Heather (Where's the Beach) April 3, 2011, 6:51 am

LOL – I think we’ve had that same conversation/situation before. The hubs and I were running together frequently then I started training for a half and he just was done with it and my crazy schedule. Sometimes I love it and sometimes I just want to trip him.
    Heather (Where’s the Beach) recently posted..Sunny Saturday- Great Run- Party Time – 80s Style

• Alicia S April 3, 2011, 7:51 am

I WISH I could relate on the running with husband situation. My husband won’t even run with me. Last year for my birthday I told him all I wanted was for him to go on a run on my birthday with me. He kept coming up with excuses and then finally told me it would KILL him to go running with me. It’s true I run slow but not enough that it would kill him one time! Hahaha. So we’ve yet to run together.
    Alicia S recently posted..Jordan 48

• Sara Stainbrook April 3, 2011, 8:36 am

haha I’m the opposite with my husband. He doesn’t run much, and has some knee issues… it’s usually me going in too “coach mode” and getting reeeeeaaaaaalllllllyyyyy bored at the slow pace πŸ™‚ I am getting better though and have finally convinced him to do a 5k with me in May, we’ll see how that goes!
    Love that gorgeous view you have! Makes the run so much better!
    Sara Stainbrook recently posted..Myth Busters

• Mackenzie @ Eat. Exercise. Evolve April 3, 2011, 9:42 am

My fiance and I trained for our first half marathon together. We have since decided that if we are going to run “together,” we’ll simply go for a run at the same time, but not actually together. It works waaay better this way. We can’t all be Kara & Adam Goucher (http://blog.oregonlive.com/trackandfield/2007/08/gouch2.JPG). πŸ™‚
    Mackenzie @ Eat. Exercise. Evolve recently posted..Vibram FiveFingers Review- Part I

• Rachel Simmons April 3, 2011, 10:35 am

Biking with my boyfriend is like that. I road bike but he LOVES mountain biking so he’s always trying to get me to go with him. My mountain bike is a $30 dollar bike swap bike with slicky tires I use solely to commute to campus because I know it won’t get stolen. The trails freak me out and Darin has to wait for me every 2 minutes or so. I keep telling myself I’m going to get good so we can ride together, but right now it’s not looking hopeful.

• Jess April 3, 2011, 1:22 pm

Ha, what a riot! Sounds similar to running with my husband…he likes to yell at me to encourage me to push harder, but sometimes all I want is to be one with my mind and push myself without him yelling at “with” me. haha. It works though, always gets me to hustle a little bit more! Plus, I love running with him overall – lots of great conversations have been had on our run “dates” together. πŸ™‚
    Jess recently posted..Let fear motivate you

• natalie April 3, 2011, 4:41 pm

*sigh* I can relate, in the past my husband would run up ahead, and I would get so incredibly frustrated. ALSO, I would be the one with the Garmin, and he would count on me to tell him when we reached the turn around point. WELL, fast forward to me, sprinting my ass off trying to catch him, shouting the entire time.

Buuuuuuuuuuuut, these days, it’s totally different. We treat it like a date – we go the same pace [it helps that I’ve sped way up], talk about the day, or plan the weekend. It always goes well, even if the jogging stroller really sucks to push sometimes! Lol…
    natalie recently posted..And So It Begins

• Lisa April 3, 2011, 4:57 pm

What a fun looking trail!

I WISH my boyfriend ran. He doesn’t like it at all. Cycling and hiking is all we can do together.

• genesis April 3, 2011, 5:10 pm

is that trail on the side of a mountain that overlooks I-95? or a golf course? it looks familiar.

i never run with my SI. he doesnt run and if he did im sure it would be similar to your running adventures with your hubby.

• Megan @ Oatmeal With Sprinkles April 3, 2011, 6:34 pm

Whoa, that view is amazing! That’s such an amazing running trail!

Megan

• Stephanie @ The Cookie Battle April 4, 2011, 8:19 am

My boyfriend will run with me, but only on the weekends. He naturally runs faster than I do, but will slow down to my pace when he’s running with me. What a gorgeous place you have to run!

• Rose April 4, 2011, 9:00 am

I had a year head start of training on my boyfriend. Yet, right off the bat, he kicked my butt in all THREE sports! We’d head out running and whooooosh! There he’d go. Swimming? Same thing. Biking? He’s crazy fast on the bike. The first few months I was SO mad. I tend to be competitive, so it was really hard for me to stay in my own zone and just train my own pace. I had to repeat over and over that this wasn’t a competition between us. Once I managed to get that through my head, I let it go, how fast he was going. I stuck to my training plan that was scheduled with MY pace and MY goals. Then I was able to enjoy high fiving him when he’s already on his way back on the run and I’m still heading out, seeing him happily waiting for me at the end of the run, carrying my bike in when I get home, since he’s already racked his. Letting go of the competition between us has helped me enjoy sharing the activities, even though we’re not side by side. Lastly, I always bring my iPod πŸ˜‰

• Amber April 4, 2011, 5:40 pm

Total dislike running with the husband. He is way too fast for me. We never run together and anger always ensues. We usually run at the same time but just go for different distances. Definitely understand what you are going through!

• Ash @ Good Taste. Healthy Me April 4, 2011, 5:46 pm

Mike and I definitely can’t run together. He hates running and would just whine the entire time haha.
    Ash @ Good Taste. Healthy Me recently posted..Caught Something I Wish I Didn’t

• Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama April 4, 2011, 11:31 pm

I love Spokane. It really is beautiful!
    Tasha – The Clean Eating Mama recently posted..Simple Homemade Pizza

• Dina @ DinaRuns April 5, 2011, 11:30 am

I wish my husband would run with me. He is not a runner but has recently mentioned that it might be something he is interested in trying. I am trying to be encouraging but don’t want to pester. I really do hope he will decide to give it a try.
    Dina @ DinaRuns recently posted..March and Goals