Garden Beginnings – Geek Turned Athlete

Garden Beginnings

The last couple of days have actually been warm!! And by warm, I mean 68-70 degrees. 😉

A couple of weekends ago, I started my little garden so it could get a head start inside b/c of the cold weather we have been having up until very recently. We had snow last week. Yes, snow.

I forgot to get little labeling sticks so I just used nails and page indexers to label what I was planting.

Basil, snap peas, onions, cilantro, green chiles, cucumbers, tomatoes, etc. from Hometown seeds (I like them b/c their seeds are non-GMO’s)!! I had to pay for my veggie seeds just in case you were wondering. They did send me my little Kitchen Herb Value Pack to sample like two months ago. So cute. Too bad that I’m just now planting them!! I’m looking forward to not killing my herbs. I have a track record of this.

DSC08202_2.JPG

The hubs got a headstart on some planters.

Today, everything seemed to be in bloom. We were outside in tank tops and shorts. No heavy layers like two weeks ago!! We have tons of tulips in our front yard that I did not get pics of. Don’t worry, I will!

Kai was happy to be outside. Always trying to be a great little helper. He doesn’t help very well though.

DSC08214.JPG DSC08216.JPG

Obviously, we have LOTS of yardwork to do now that it is warmer out!

Tulips peaking through. I wonder what colors these will be…

DSC08219.JPG DSC08221.JPG

The moss is thriving. We are building a rock garden with it.

DSC08224.jpg

DSC08230.JPG DSC08237.JPG

Do you have your own garden? Have you had snow recently? I couldn’t believe it when it snowed here. We have lots of gardening to do this weekend after my half marathon race!

Fitness news: I went to masters swim on Monday, and I swam 3200 meters. I have NEVER swam that much in one pool session before. My arms were dead afterward. I was really proud of myself though! I actually feel like I’m making progress with my horrible stroke. AND, I wasn’t the last one in the the slow lane. I led my lane for most of the class. Things are looking up!!

Do you go to masters swim class? I’ve only been a few times, and I feel like I’m improving so fast!

• Erica May 10, 2011, 10:58 pm

Hooray on the garden! So exciting :) We planted ours a few weeks back and everything is starting to spring up- I’m thrilled. Kai has gotten so big!!!!!!! Wow! Congrats on the swim. I grew up on swim team and used to be able to tare it up in the water.
    Erica recently posted..Savannah- GA and Lady &amp Sons

• Nicole May 12, 2011, 1:33 pm

Dang, girl! You are just good at everything!! Already 75 lbs at 9 months. He is my big baby! 😉

• lindsay May 11, 2011, 4:01 am

nice swim!! thats huge…..and so is KAI! WOW!
    lindsay recently posted..Fresh Friday

• Ash @ Good Taste. Healthy Me May 11, 2011, 5:02 am

I tried growing cucumbers and tomato’s last year…they got some sort of fungus on them. :( Major fail.

I haven’t been to a master’s swim but I thought about going. I’m a very poor swimmer and I thought it would be nice for them to critique me etc.
    Ash @ Good Taste. Healthy Me recently posted..Favors

• Nicole May 12, 2011, 1:35 pm

I’m a horrible swimmer. I know it is helping me. You should really think about going. Leave all your insecurities at the door. There is always going to be someone worse than you no matter how bad you think you are! Does that help? 😉 At least that is what I tell myself.

• Katie @ Up Fit Creek May 11, 2011, 5:05 am

I have 4 flats of seed starts in our building right now, just waiting to be planted. It’s been super nice this week, but the meteorologists have told us to hold off until after May 15th to avoid any chance of frost. It’s killing me! I really want to get them in the ground and watch them grow.
    Katie @ Up Fit Creek recently posted..Cinco de My-Oh-My

• Nicole May 12, 2011, 1:36 pm

That sounds like us over here. It is back to 55 for the high. I want summer to come badly!

• Heather (Where's the Beach) May 11, 2011, 5:34 am

I love having a garden. Last year it kind of bombed though – way too hot for anything. I think we got 2 tomatoes and maybe 1 bell pepper. It was sad. Hopefully this year will be better.
    Heather (Where’s the Beach) recently posted..Sunny Patio Kind of Weekend

• Sarah for Real May 11, 2011, 8:56 am

We started a whole bunch of things in the greenhouse a month ago, but then got one day of warmer weather and all our little sprouts got cooked! The things that survived (and are ready to eat now!) are the arugula and radishes. My hubs is going to replant the basil, tomatoes, cilantro etc soon. I hope to have my outdoor garden patch fixed up this weekend with zucchini and bush beans!

ps Kai is ginormous!

• Nicole May 12, 2011, 1:38 pm

Ack!! Kai actually chewed up that seed starter this week. The hubs left it outside. We have to start over too. ;(

• Jena May 11, 2011, 9:49 am

EVERY time I see someone start a little garden I want one. I don’t think it’s possible with our demon dogs. They destroy everything. They would be out in the back yard digging all my little plants up. I need to figure this out.
    Jena recently posted..One day it could be you

• Nicole May 12, 2011, 1:38 pm

We are trying to figure that out too!! Kai loves to dig and eat plants.

• Pure2raw twins May 11, 2011, 6:40 pm

oh so jealous, wish I had room to grow a garden

• Kate @ NaturaStride May 13, 2011, 6:27 am

Good for you starting your garden! I tried a small garden last year but it failed :( I’m gonna make a 2nd attempt this summer (starting this weekend!) Unfortunately, since I live in the city I have to settle with planting in pots – but I’m determined.
    I definitely want to plant onions and cilantro as well – I feel like I would use them constantly!
    Have a great wknd :)
    Kate @ NaturaStride recently posted..BizBites!