Putting On My Athletic Uniform for the 1st Time – Geek Turned Athlete

Putting On My Athletic Uniform for the 1st Time

This post might sound absolutely stupid to some, but this is a big deal to me…

I started running with a running team this year, and they have a uniform that they wear for races. As you know from the title of this blog, I am a “former geek” turned athlete. Actually I’m still a geek, but that is besides the point. ;)

I tried out for a few sports teams in high school and never made it. I remember the 1st day of tryouts for the softball team, and it was so painful! We had to do so many sit-ups and run around a lot, and I was NOT used to that. I never went back for the week long tryout “experience.” It was TOO hard. My body hurt. I didn’t really know what pushing my body felt like. And no, I don’t equate my band uniform to a sports uniform. My speech and debate wardrobe consisted of suits. Just not the same. Trust me on this.

My, my, my, things have changed drastically since then. Today, I finally get to put on that sports uniform that I so BADLY wanted in high school to race in… 10 years after the fact. It represents all the hard work that I have put into running over the last few years. More importantly, it represents my connection/friendship with like-minded individuals who aren’t afraid to work hard to accomplish their goals.

I’m going to keep pushing hard to see what my body can do. I’m not the “quitter” I used to be when the going (and/or training) got tough.

We all have potential. I’m just discovering mine.

Bloomsday Race Recap coming soon!!

• Jayme @ runner and spice May 1, 2011, 7:51 am

Congrats! I totally know how you feel. I lived away at a ballet school in elementary-highschool years, l and didn’t participate in sports, at all (we weren’t allowed too). Being a runner, training and taking part in events has really given me the sense of being part of a sport, and considering myself an athlete. I love it.

Enjoy your uniform :) You earned it.

• Beth May 1, 2011, 8:52 am

awesome! I feel you.

• Erica May 1, 2011, 9:14 am

What an awesome post :) The uniforms are so nice too! Very happy for you
    Erica recently posted..E- Weekend &amp Pregnancy Update-VLOG-Week 27

• lindsay May 1, 2011, 10:24 am

oh I love it! I’d be the dork who wore mine uniform everywhere! be proud Nicole!
    lindsay recently posted..Fresh Friday

• Mackenzie @ Eat. Exercise. Evolve May 1, 2011, 10:42 am

Congratulations! It’s never too late to fulfill those goals. :)
    Mackenzie @ Eat. Exercise. Evolve recently posted..Cest la vie &amp Portobello Tacos

• Jess May 1, 2011, 12:44 pm

Love it!! I was never the “cool kid” in school – let alone the “athlete” in the crowd. So today -every time I lace up my sneaks, or put on my favorite workout gear, I feel “cool” somehow because this is mine to own and I’ve made it my own. I’d love to have a uniform too, not gonna lie. You are WAY cooler than me, that’s for sure ;-)
    Jess recently posted..I am thankful

• Alanna @ Blood, Sweat, and Cupcakes May 1, 2011, 1:00 pm

That’s awesome! There is something really special about putting on that uniform and being part of a team and everyone else around you knowing that you’re part of that team as well! :) Congratulations!

• Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) May 1, 2011, 1:12 pm

Just found your blog and I LOVE it!! I LOVE the uniform, and I’d totally wear it everywhere!! Congrats! :D
    Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) recently posted..Almond butter lovin&8217 and Awesome April

• Nicole May 2, 2011, 7:46 pm

Welcome!! Thank you!

• e May 1, 2011, 4:47 pm

congrats! becoming part of a team is a powerful experience regardless of the time in your life. enjoy!

• Sarah for Real May 1, 2011, 5:25 pm

So exciting! Wish I could have seen you in your uniform!

Can’t wait for the recap :)
    Sarah for Real recently posted..How Many Times Can I Type “Asparagus”

• Jena May 1, 2011, 7:08 pm

I’d be excited too If I got to wear a running team uniform, that is badassery at it’s best! There are a few running teams around here and I’m always in awe when I see them. They are soo speedy!
    Jena recently posted..Vrooooomm

• Leila @ Spinach and Skittles May 1, 2011, 9:42 pm

Whoo hoo! Also awesome is the fact that it is a cute uniform ;) Can’t wait to read the recap!
    Leila @ Spinach and Skittles recently posted..I’m a runner! Bloomsday 2011 recap

• Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me May 2, 2011, 7:43 am

That’s awesome. I’m so happy for you!

• Kate @ NaturaStride May 2, 2011, 7:51 am

Love this! I definitely know the feeling. Congrats to you!

• Toronto Girl West May 6, 2011, 2:31 pm

I LOVE your uniform!!!! Congratulations on coming so far!!! :)
    Toronto Girl West recently posted..Life Lessons the Portland Japanese Garden