Getting giardia from your dog

Say What???

imgname--giardia_lamblia_genome_sequenced---50226711--giardia.jpg

This week has been an frightening experience. Remember when I told you all that I had the stomach flu last week? It turns out that I have giardia instead. No, NOT gonorrhea (my brother-in-law texted me to ask about this to be funny), GIARDIA. I ran a half marathon last weekend with a parasite in me. No wonder I felt like crap. Gross. Fun times. ;)

I thought that I was feeling better from my “stomach flu” from last week until a couple of days ago when I started to feel like crap again. I thought it was odd that my stomach flu had lasted so long. Kai has been sick since last week too, but the hubs and I are used to him eating some random item from the dog park and it not agreeing with him. Weims have such sensitive stomachs. He had gotten worms a couple of months ago, and we had to take a fecal sample into the vet to just make sure that the worms were gone for good. That is when I got a call back on Tuesday night about him having giardia. Say what???

Climbing into bed that night, I started to put two and two together. Hmmmm….I have all the symptoms of giardia. The next morning I made an appointment with my doc, and sure enough, I have giardia too. Lovely. I almost feel like I should have been able to enjoy a 3rd world country at least, and then contract giardia.

Just in case you are wondering, I did a little research on giardia since it is kind of a random thing to get. I was laughing at myself all yesterday afternoon because only I would get this without camping or traveling to a third world country and drinking the water.

A giardia is a parasitic intestinal infection. The symptoms include: diarrhea, nausea, bloating, extreme dehydration, fatigue, and weight loss.

You can contract it by:

• drinking water contaminated by infected animal/human feces like from a pool, lake, or stream
  • having anal sex with an infected person (All I have to say to this is: EWWW! EXIT ONLY, EXIT ONLY!)
  • eating contaminated food like maybe crop supplies contaminated by infected runoff (one more reason to wash your veggies/fruits!!)
  • changing diapers (ACK!!) Outbreaks in child care centers are becoming increasingly common.

When I saw the doc and told her about my puppy getting giardia, she asked if I had been kissing my dog. I said, “Why yes, I had!” Let me just tell you, I don’t literally make-out with my dog, but his ears are so soft that I feel the need to shower them with kisses when I see him. He is my baby. Well, it turns out that kissing a puppy after he has been drinking from and rolling around in feces giardia infected puddles at the dog park is NOT a good idea.

Both Kai and I are on the same medication: Metronidazole (Flagyl) to get rid of this parasite ravaging our bodies. The medication also causes nausea so I’m also on an anti-nausea medication. AND, I CANNOT drink while on it. Apparently, you get get violently ill if you drink alcohol while on this medication. Perfect timing for Fitbloggin. So much for my sangrias. ;( It takes 2-6 weeks for your body to naturally get rid of the parasite so I’m up for the 5 days of hell taking the medication. I want it OUT!!!

For my fitbloggin friends this weekend, unless I decide to act like a monkey and throw my poop at you or perform those other activities on the list (which I don’t plan on doing at all!), you are not at risk of contracting this parasite from me. The doc said that just one day of being on the meds should pretty much kill them all anyway.

I just feel SO dirty. One thing is for sure, Kai is getting a bath EVERY single time he plays in the puddles at the dog park!

I just can’t get over how random this post is.

Any weird diseases you wish to share about??

• Erica May 19, 2011, 7:52 am

oh my gosh! Your poor poor thing! I hope you feel better FAST! I kiss Frankies ears all the time…so I could see myself easily getting something like this! I had duck itch when I was younger. Basically…gosh its so gross….when you swim in lakes…if a duck goes to the bathroom…the yuck from the poop can make you get duck itch. You get these spots that look like giant mosquito bites and itch. It was nastyyyyyyyy
    Erica recently posted..Heather’s Crock Pot Pineapple Meatballs

• Nicole May 21, 2011, 7:26 am

Yikes!! Yes, it is all really disgusting. ;)

• cara May 19, 2011, 7:53 am

Great to know. I will now immediately clean my pups after they go into water somewhere. Feel better soon!
    cara recently posted..May 1- 2011 – Nothing On My Salad But More Veggies

• Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me May 19, 2011, 7:56 am

My friend got this in high school. They had no idea how he possibly could’ve contracted it. They tested the water supply from his home and everything. he hadn’t gone camping or traveled. It was very bizarre! The poor guy suffered for months before they figured out what was up with him!
    Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me recently posted..Knee Pain

• Chad @ thebreakupnote May 19, 2011, 7:56 am

I was having the munchies today in an extreme way but thanks to this post my cravings have been halted! :D *positive thoughts*
    Chad @ thebreakupnote recently posted..A Few Mid Week Eats

• Nicole May 21, 2011, 7:44 am

haha. Sorry. Don’t make out with your dog!

• Jess May 19, 2011, 8:33 am

Man, that is intense. Like I mentioned on twitter, my sister’s pups had it and they had a helluva a time getting rid of it from their house/dogs, etc. Feel better and BOO on the no drinking at fitbloggin!!
    Jess recently posted..Barre N9NE – week 15

• Kara May 19, 2011, 8:43 am

My dog had that too (she loves dirty puddle water) and we were so paranoid about getting it too. I’m sorry you got it, but at least you know what’s wrong and you’ll be better soon :)
    Kara recently posted..Thursday Confessions- Food Edition

• Lisa May 19, 2011, 8:56 am

GROSS! You poor thing! I’d be skeeved out too. Glad you know what it is though and have some medicine. Feel better!

• Samantha Angela May 19, 2011, 9:00 am

Oh my god, that sucks! Not fun at all. Hopefully you don’t have any other complications as a result.

My dad got salmonella in the fall and had a series of extremely bad luck as a result that had him hospitalized for months

• Shannon May 19, 2011, 9:04 am

Oh my gosh that is crazy! I’m glad they figured out what is was before too long and that you are on the medicine now. Feel better!
    Shannon recently posted..Fall Class Schedule

• lindsay May 19, 2011, 9:56 am

i don’t know whether to laugh at your or cry for you. So i’ll do both. No more kissing the dog, k?
    lindsay recently posted..Fresh Friday

• Greta @ California Girl May 19, 2011, 10:48 am

OMG… Feel better! My mom contracted Giardia from drinking water in Russia (during, like, the 1970’s), and she lost almost 20 lbs before they figured out what was wrong with her. Definitely not a fun bug to deal with!

• Sarah for Real May 19, 2011, 11:08 am

Oh my. I had no idea it would be so contagious! I snuggle Nilla’s ears all the time. Eeeks. Hope you and Kai are feeling better soon. Have a fun trip!

• Alanna @ Blood, Sweat, and Cupcakes May 19, 2011, 4:45 pm

woah! and you ran a race! Nothing can take you down :)
    I hope you’re feeling top shape soon, it’s impossible to resists doggie smooches!
    Alanna @ Blood, Sweat, and Cupcakes recently posted..Toffee Bars

• Sara May 20, 2011, 5:03 am

So funny, but so NOT funny at the same time. I kind of know how you feel because a couple of months ago my head started itching like CRAZY. I could not figure out what it was. I’m 26 and don’t have children, so I immediately dismissed lice as being the culprit. I started freaking out, thinking I had some kind of cancer causing intense itching in my scalp. I went to the doctor and she immediately pulled out two bugs – lice. It was seriously so embarrassing. Apparently they jumped on my head from my niece who is 4, but I only saw her for a day and totally forgot about it. I laughed after because it’s so ridiculous and random, but during the time I was like how did this happen, why me???!!!
    Sara recently posted..Rapture Eve

• Nicole May 21, 2011, 7:47 am

Ack!!! That would SO happen to me!! Aren’t random diseases/parasites fun?

• Stephanie May 20, 2011, 8:39 am

OMG! I’m glad you found out what it was! I have a friend who had giardia once and it took her weeks to figure out what was going on. Hope you feel better soon :)
    Stephanie recently posted..Weekly Wake Up Call

• Leila @ Spinach and Skittles May 20, 2011, 1:02 pm

OMG! How random! I hope that medicine kicks into high gear and you feel 100% soon. What a bummer about the fitbloggin trip though :( And your reader question is cracking me up. No weird diseases here…that I know of ;)
    Leila @ Spinach and Skittles recently posted..Minnesota Eats

• Leigh May 20, 2011, 9:29 pm

Oddly enough, my puppy who is 8 months got sick last weekend after we had taken him on a walk where there was a creek and he drank out of it, so we were thinking he might have giardia because let’s just say his stomach was not liking him. I took him to the vet to be tested for it, but luckily he didn’t have it. It definitely does not sound fun at all, so I hope you and your pup are feeling better soon!

ps- puppy kisses are the best!

• kimberley July 26, 2013, 3:42 am

My fiance bought a pup from one of the guys on the street, he has tapworms longer than his own body, we put him on a lot of meds, the meds knock him out but when he wake up he is in so much pain and cries all through the night, keeps us awake and I wish I could do more to help him, he also has boils that is being treated at this time. He is extremely cute and when I see him in so much pain I start to cry, the worst part is is is that I managed to pick up scabies from him.

Just want him to get better and be the happy little pup he deserves to be

• Nicole August 2, 2013, 1:06 pm

Yikes! I know how you feel though. Our rescue weim, had so many issues when we first got her! I hope your pup is better now!

• Sharon August 6, 2014, 6:05 pm