Windermere Half Marathon Race Recap – Geek Turned Athlete

Windermere Half Marathon Race Recap

Hello guys!! This week is flying by so far. I can’t believe I will be in Baltimore in two days for another Fitbloggin Conference! And back to the race…

So, this race was not a good one. In fact, I shouldn’t have run it. Starting from Thursday morning through Friday night, I was hugging and sitting on the toilet like it was my job. I decided to wait and see how I felt Saturday morning to determine whether I should run or not. Saturday, I woke up at 5am feeling energized and ready to go. I think it was just the adrenaline talking since this did not last long.

It was a windy morning. Plus, we got lots of sun showers before the race even started. It was beautiful out. The hubs and I met up with some friends before the race since some were doing the half and some were doing the full. They started at different locations so the hubs and I went our separate ways.

Here I am with my friend, Trina, near the starting line for the half.

The first couple of miles my legs just wanted to GO!!!  I told myself to calm down.  I had 13 miles to go after all.  Nausea started to set in around mile 4.  I guess I still wasn’t feeling better like I thought.  I pulled over to dry heave over on the side of the road.  It was not the highest moment in my life, let me tell you.  So embarrassing!

I really wanted to quit at that point, but since we were on a trail, who would be able to drive me to the finish line?  So, after the dry heaving incident, the goal was to run the speed at which I could keep my breakfast down.  Around the 1 hr mark, I hit 7 miles and also starting getting the chills.  My pace dwindled from there.  I threw up in my mouth a couple of times and just swallowed it down.  I wanted this thing to be over with.

I started making deals with myself that I could walk at the next aid station.  “Just run to the next aid station, then you can walk,” I repeated to myself. My skin was starting to hurt from the never ending goosebumps.

The last 2 miles were pure torture.  I felt dizzy, nauseous, and a spell of diarrhea coming on.  I did not want to walk unless I was at the aid stations, but when the last mile hit, I couldn’t run anymore.  My body was breaking down.  My attempt at drinking massive amounts of water days prior to make up for the severe dehydration that my stomach flu brought on obviously failed.  I kept thinking to myself: WHY the F$%^ did I run this race??  I should be in bed!!!

After a 2 minute walking break, I started running again.  It was pure agony.  I ran over the bridge that felt like it was covered in sand.

I ran through the last part of the park…

When I started to cross this bridge, I was SO FREAKING happy I was almost done.

Just over the water, and the race of hell was done.  I finished under 2 hours, WAY off from my goal of 1:45-1:50. ;(

When I crossed the finish line, I walked calmly and collectedly to the nearest restroom where I let my stomach have it’s way.  Then, it was “put on a happy face” and wait for the rest of our friends to finish.

Then, we had to wait for our gorgeous husbands to finish their marathon…

I DO NOT recommend running a half marathon when you have the stomach flu, but for some reason I’m glad I did it.  I guess I’m a psycho that way.  Of course, because of that race my body was broken for the rest of the weekend but don’t worry!  I’m feeling much better now.  It is amazing how much just a little rest can help with those things!

Thank you for all the “get well” wishes from my last post!!

• chloe @ 321delish May 17, 2011, 12:23 pm

oh the mind of a competitive athlete….I am sure that this race will go down in the books! Way to stay strong and finish, but I hope you are now letting your body recover!

• Jess May 17, 2011, 12:28 pm

Oh my god. That sounds like HELL on earth. I cannot believe you ran that thing when you were still feeling so YUCK! You are officially my hero – I don’t think I’m strong enough mentally to have willed myself through to the finish line. SO GLAD you are feeling better now at least!!
    Jess recently posted..Barre N9NE – week 15

• Erica May 17, 2011, 12:58 pm

oh my gosh! I hope you are able to really relax this week and take it easy! And props to you for finishing!
    Erica recently posted..Heather’s Crock Pot Pineapple Meatballs

• Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me May 17, 2011, 1:06 pm

You are crazy girl!! But you must feel proud. That takes some major gumption. I could’ve never done it haha.

Also you and your hubby are one hot couple! :)

• Abby May 17, 2011, 1:09 pm

YOU ARE A ROCK STAR. I can’t believe you still ran it! Way to go!

• genesis May 17, 2011, 1:11 pm

im sorry youve been having some rough races lately. i hope it gets better for you. a friend ran the full and he said that the shuttle for halfs went the wrong way or something and that the race was disorganized…glad you didnt get lost :)

btw has anyone ever told you or your husband that he looks like daniel craig…mr. 007?!

• Nicole May 17, 2011, 9:02 pm

Whoa, I’m glad we parked at a friend’s office instead of having to deal with the bus!! We just walked back a ways on the course. That is how I got all the pics towards the finishline.

And yes, people have said that before. haha. It just makes me smile. 😉

• Marisa May 17, 2011, 1:53 pm

You RoCK! I love reading your blog because it motivates me to keep running!

• Beth May 17, 2011, 3:10 pm

I’m just glad you made it to the finish line alive! Yikes!!!! And, um, going sub 2:00 is hugely impressive for someone who is actually, possibly dying on the course.

• Matt @ The Athlete's Plate May 17, 2011, 3:30 pm

Baller race :)
    Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..The Best Black Bean Burgers

• lindsay May 17, 2011, 3:48 pm

girl, you had the flu and still ran? WOW! thats hard core. Hope you are better now.
    lindsay recently posted..Fresh Friday

• Megan May 17, 2011, 8:11 pm

HOly crap! I would have totally bagged it! You’re a strong woman for running that and still getting a good time! BTW, I love how you call your husband gorgeous. :)

• Nicole May 17, 2011, 9:03 pm

😉 If I didn’t think so, we would be in trouble!

• Vanessa May 18, 2011, 10:14 am

Wow … you inspire me! I am glad to hear you are feeling better. This makes me feel horrible about the workouts I skip because I “just don’t feel like it today”!

• Amy May 18, 2011, 5:34 pm

wow thats pretty impressive you did that! im sure it was not easy…but congrats on finishing!
    Amy recently posted..Chocolate Chip Oreo Pancakes

• Sara May 19, 2011, 3:13 am

I’ve just found your site and I love it! I came from an AF background and I’ve recently started running so I have really enjoyed your race recaps. I can’t wait to read more!
    Sara recently posted..The man who ate 25-000 Big Macs

• Michelle May 19, 2011, 5:09 am

Make sure you take the time to recover after this one…..especially being sick on top of things! Stomach Flu stinks and hope you are feeling better :)