In Transition – Geek Turned Athlete

In Transition

So, what have I been up to this week?

Running, Swimming, and Biking:

IMAG0007.jpg IMAG0008.jpg

Sleeping and Cuddling:

IMAG0046.jpg

Acting like the “polite, put-together” military spouse that I’m not for a night:

SERE grad.jpg

The training and the sleeping has been good since I’ve been sick from the random parasite and lots of traveling this past month.

What else has been going on?

I interviewed like crazy last week at an environmental consulting firm in town (7 hrs total), and finally got the job offer a week ago. I start on Monday! I’m so excited to actually be using my masters degree. My last job was great, but I really didn’t use my degree making maps via GIS (geographic information systems). I’m getting my own office and the job includes about 40% field work. This is good because I’m not a “9 1/2 hrs/ day stare at the computer” kind of gal. I like getting dirty. I like meeting and conversing with people. I like solving environmental problems. This new job will definitely encompass all of that. I was guaranteed that I won’t be getting bored which was sort of a common theme amongst most of my previous jobs.

I am also going from working ~30 hrs (not including teaching spin or other random little things I can’t say no to) a week to 42-50 hrs a week. Training for Ironman is about to get serious here with 10-18 hr weeks. I probably will have to stop teaching spin class, and prioritize my life. Time has just become even more valuable. I will have to practice saying the word “NO” more.

What does this mean for the blog? I know that I have probably slowly progressed to only posting about 2-3 times a week lately. I will do my best to post as often as I can, but I have a feeling life is about to get a little crazy with my new work schedule. I hope you all will be patient with me during this transition time!

Some exciting events/posts coming up:

• MONDAY: Want to win a $100 gift card?? Come back on Monday for your chance to win. My blog isn’t insanely popular so you will have a good chance of winning!
  • WEDNESDAY: I have a short little gluten free guide in case you have been wondering about going gluten free. I’m gluten intolerant, and have been gluten free for about a year and a half. It changed my life.
  • FRIDAY: My 10 year high school reunion is a week from today. I’m not lying when I say I was a geek (I still am to be honest)). Trust me on this. I plan on giving you my thoughts before I face my torturous high school years again. And, I will be recapping the night for you later that week.

Oh, and before I forget: I said I would mention this for one of my friends: It is a Race to Cure Diabetes. Basically, you can race the 5K anywhere to participate. Really cool.

How do you busy folks find time to blog?? I need some tips if I’m going to continue to blog and not go crazy!

• lindsay June 18, 2011, 12:58 pm

ahh, don’t remind me. My high school reunion is way too soon too! yikes! I never get how people can post each day or 2x a day. I think I am little too boring for that. Good to hear from you Nicole!

• Nicole June 18, 2011, 2:27 pm

Or maybe you just have more of a life than they do! ;) At least that is what I keep telling myself. ;)

• Leila @ Spinach and Skittles June 18, 2011, 1:14 pm

Yay for the new job!
    I tend to pre-write a few posts on the weekend, and then I edit them before I post so they are up to date/accurate. It’s made blogging a bit easier during the busy weeks.
    Oh, and have fun at the reunion! Mine is later this summer, and I have mixed feelings about it, but I know I’ll wind up going ;)

• Lindsey June 18, 2011, 1:46 pm

I do GIS for a living as well. I’m SO jealous of your field time! I’m stuck behind a desk all day…
    Congrats on the new job!

• Nicole June 18, 2011, 2:26 pm

And that is why I don’t think GIS is good for me. I loved the people at the job, and I got really good at arcGIS, but I need my field work time! ;)

• Sarah June 18, 2011, 2:24 pm

It’s summer for me but once school starts I might be doing some prioritizing myself :)

• Matt @ The Athlete's Plate June 18, 2011, 3:19 pm

Congrats on the new job!

• Sana June 18, 2011, 3:26 pm

So proud! I will always read your blog for EPIC race recaps!

• Cynthia (It All Changes) June 18, 2011, 5:40 pm

You look very good as a pulled together military wife. None of the wives are as pulled together as they say…you looked beautiful.

Congrats on your job! I know you’ll love it.

• Erica June 18, 2011, 6:10 pm

CONGRATSSSSSSSSS on the job! That is fabulous. So happy for you. And very exciting that the training is really hitting high gear! The picture of you and the man is so cute. The only way I fit blogging in is planning ahead. Otherwise I get overwhelmed! Have a great Sunday

• Jayme @ Runner-n-Spice June 19, 2011, 4:12 am

Congrats on the new job! I work a lot too, but carve out the last few hours of the day to blog. Normally, right before bed.

• Jess June 19, 2011, 7:43 am

Wow congrats on landing what sounds like a pretty great dream job for you!! That is awesome! I’m sure it’s gonna get a little hectic with your new job and ironman training but you can do it, I have faith!! :)

• Kristen (inspiredbydooce) June 20, 2011, 6:22 am

Congratulations on the job! It is such a feeling of relief when you find a job that you WANT, not just a job that will do!

And good luck with finding the right balance. It is always tough adjusting to new schedules and new priorities!

• Katherine June 20, 2011, 6:47 am

Congrats on the new job! It sounds great and you sound really happy about it. It sounds like a great opportunity. I blog with tons of irregularity. I might post four days in a row and not blog again for a month. That’s how I roll. Don’t feel bad for having to prioritize- you have to do what’s right for you! You have to work, you have to train, you have to figure out what’s most important.

• Joanna B. June 20, 2011, 12:46 pm

Congratulations on your new job, sounds more like your style. I am very busy and only blog 2-3 times per week, so unfortunately I can’t give you tips on that.

What I can offer you is some support in saying NO. I struggled with this myself for years, always over-committing and running around like a banshee. Per the advice of a friend I made a life priority list and not accept and decline invitations based on that. The list fluctuates, sometimes blogging is near the top of my list and sometimes friends are it just helps to have something. I’ll keep visiting whether you post once a week or once a day.

• Mike June 20, 2011, 3:24 pm

Nicole cut the crap from your week. I would suggest you take your blog down to once a week to save the time — that will be another workout you can get in. Then you will need to start saying no. :) As tough as it is, say no to new projects that do not involve your husband, your job, and workouts in that order. You can train 18 hours a week and still have a life.

Good luck ma’am.

• Jamie Walker June 21, 2011, 12:18 am

Wow – congrats on the new gig! Sounds like you have your plate full but are somehow managing to keep everything in balance. Way to go!