A few weeks ago, I was sent out some samples of Phenom to review, and I have finally gotten the chance to sit down and write about it. GNC touts their new product as a “best after workout recovery drink” containing coconut water benefits. I received the Pure Hydro version, Orange Guava Passion, Lemon Mojito, and Pineapple Punch. I usually drink coconut water after particularly hard workouts when I’ve sweat a lot, but only after I’ve worked out for over an hour. You don’t need to drink this stuff if you are exercising for less than that!
- The Pure flavor and Lemon Mojito were definitely my favorite! Really good after a long run!
- Hey, it is coconut water! Nature’s gatorade. Great electrolyte replacement drink.
- Added vitamins just in case you are slacking on your diet (also a con. read below).
- I did feel full of energy after drinking even the Pure Phenom version after teaching a spin class. It helped me push on to my run outside for the next part of my workout.
- Massive amount of added ingredients. Obviously, some of these are the vitamins and some of these are for the energy. However, I’m a naturalist. I like my coconut water to be JUST COCONUT WATER. Plus, it freaks me out that there are sulfites in there. They give a lot of people headaches including myself. Plus, why must we add maltodextrin in everything?? If I am eating a balanced diet, why do I need to extra vitamins?
- Two servings were in ONE bottle. I don’t like it when companies try to trick us into drinking more than we need. I’m not saying GNC was trying to do this, but it is a common tactic used in order to get consumers to consume more of a product and buy more.
Have you tried this drink before?? Have you tried any other type of coconut water? What is your after workout recovery drink?
For me, it might be coconut water, then a protein shake. It just depends on the type/intensity of workout.
P.S. I’m finishing up the race recap tonight!