Those Days – Geek Turned Athlete

Those Days

IMAG0025.jpg

Do ever have those days where NOTHING seems to go right?

Your boss is on your neck about a deadline, the news you thought might come today didn’t (I will clue you guys in on that soon), you wanted to seriously pull an “office space” with a baseball bat and some rap music on your computer because it won’t let you get your work done, your house is a mess, you are exhausted, you are itching to get your butt out of the office ALL day so you can go on your first run in a week and a half since realizing you have a parasite, and you come home to THIS in your back yard. That isn’t you?? Oh sorry, maybe it is just me then.

It was one of those frustrating days that sucked all the life out of me. All I wanted was a couple glasses of wine and 10 cookies after I found this in my backyard. However, after looking into my puppy’s eyes as I worked on some breathing techniques trying to hold back the tears while holding my broken $350 garmin in my hand (he chewed on the back of the screen and basically ruined the battery hookup), I realized what I really needed was a run.

This run saved me today so much more than any wine or cookies could do. After our little run together (just me and Kai), and I dropped him off and headed back out to finish my hour up. I came back relaxed, and after a good cry in my husbands arms, I actually felt better. I was back to my happy laughing self, AND Kai was back on my good side.

Tomorrow is a new day…

What do you tend to reach for when you are stressed? The cookies? The wine? Your sneakers?

• Sana June 1, 2011, 10:03 pm

OYYYYY! Can you get the strap fixed???
    Sana recently posted..Hot Hot

• Nicole June 2, 2011, 7:02 am

no, he chewed on the back of the bezel and the battery hookup on the back. It is dead. ;(

• Nina June 1, 2011, 10:25 pm

Sorry about the Garmin ….. :( Our dog did the same to my Polar when he was a puppy.
    Anyways, when my day is all messed up and nothing goes as planned, I just grab my sneakers and after a few miles the day gets so much better. Running, or working out, has never failed to make my day.
    Nina recently posted..Already June!

• Marisa June 2, 2011, 2:58 am

Oh no! I totally know that feeling, but when you look into their pitiful puppy eyes you can’t get mad at them. Plus remember they never stay mad at you and love you unconditionally! He is always waiting for you at home with a loving heart. Can you get a new wrist band for your garmin? Glad your day got better! Wine and a little crying…oh and cookies go hand in hand 😉

• Nicole June 2, 2011, 7:01 am

the computer part in the back is chewed up badly! Oh, yes he woke me up with kisses this morning. How could I be made at him?

• Matt @ The Athlete's Plate June 2, 2011, 5:25 am

Hang in there!
    Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..Build Your Own Omelet

• Jess June 2, 2011, 6:10 am

Oof. What a day. Sometimes the best and only thing that helps me is to cry it out. Honestly, sometimes it is just the most cleansing thing ever. I hope your run and subsequent cry in your husbands arms pulled you right back up again. Hang in there!
    Jess recently posted..To Run Is…

• Michelle (Chasing Chelles) June 2, 2011, 6:42 am

Ah, that sucks! Sorry about your crappy day. They’re unavoidable every once in a while. I tend to reach for the wine when I’m stressed too. 😉
    ~Michelle
    Michelle (Chasing Chelles) recently posted..Spotlight on Amys

• Kara June 2, 2011, 6:51 am

Can you just get a new strap for it or duct tape it back together? I think that could look pretty funny. :)

My dog just ate one of the baby’s new toys yesterday. I feel your pain.
    Kara recently posted..Random tidbit Thursday

• Nicole June 2, 2011, 7:00 am

No, he chewed on the battery hookup on the back pretty bad! ;(

• Rose June 2, 2011, 8:09 am

Oh dear! That’s awful. We all have days like that! Good choice on the run :) After a lifetime of choosing wine and cookies, I’ve finally learned that the only thing that will make me feel better is exercise. Anything else puts me in the endless cycle of feeling crappy. Hope today goes better for you!

• Sarah for Real June 2, 2011, 8:30 am

Oh maaan that really sucks. It’s like going through baby-proofing when your puppy is finally big enough to get into stuff. We went through that with Nilla but she’s only like, 12″ tall. It must be impossible with Kai!

I also reach for my hubs when I’m stressed. Sometimes a good hug is worth more than anything.

• Nicole June 3, 2011, 12:21 pm

It is really funny when I talk to other people about Kai, and they are like “he is like a child!”. Why yes he is!! I swear, if you turn your back for a second you are in trouble! And I agree, that hug was amazing!

• chloe @ 321delish June 2, 2011, 8:48 am

GAH! Way to turn to the run instead of the wine and cookies! That is not an easy decision…but always the better decision!
    chloe @ 321delish recently posted..…And 45 is not 48- or 50

• Cynthia (It All Changes) June 2, 2011, 8:51 am

Ouch on the Garmin. That picture makes me cringe.

I normally would reach for my running shoes. Now I reach for a book and bed. Food is a dangerous place for me when upset.

• Erica June 2, 2011, 9:40 am

oh man :( I’m sorry to hear about your day. Working out is the BEST stress relief!!!!
    Erica recently posted..Plain Jane Pancakes &amp A Giveaway

• Courtney @ Third Time's A Charm June 2, 2011, 8:18 pm

I am so sorry about your Garmin! We (used to) foster dogs for one of our local animal rescue groups and the last one we had got out a few weeks ago and chewed up our couch. It’s so hard because you can’t be mad at them!
    Courtney @ Third Time’s A Charm recently posted..my june goals

• Toronto Girl West June 2, 2011, 10:48 pm

Exercise always helps!!!

I can remember days (at my last office) when I would get really upset over something that happened on a trial file. I would tell the secretary I would be back and head out for a hard core workout.

Cleanses the frustration in the system.
    Toronto Girl West recently posted..Her Wanderlust Would Not Allow Her to Stay Long in One Spot

• Andy June 3, 2011, 6:12 am

I usually try and workout if I am able when I am stressed. The really interesting things are my eating habits when I am stressed. I have had times where I don’t eat for a day or two when I am in really stressful situations, and then there have been times when I eat a couple 18-wheeler trucks worth of food. Weird. As with animals, if something like that would have happened with any of my former dogs/cats, I would have been mad at them for about 15 minutes, and like you said, they look into your eyes and then you realize that everything will be ok…. except for the Garmin :( Hope you have a great weekend!
    Andy recently posted..Filling Up the Tank for Another Journey

• Nicole June 3, 2011, 12:24 pm

I am the same way. sometimes I overeat when I’m stressed, and sometimes it is the other way around where I’m not hungry at all.

• matthew key June 5, 2011, 1:23 pm

oopsssss…..think positive!
    you still have a watch though, my Garmin got kocked off during the swim and went to the bottom of the lake, it’s probably still vibrating and screaming “I’ve lost my satellite signal” sigh
    😉

• Maggs June 6, 2011, 7:27 pm

oh man, my dogs have chewed up so much stuff over the years. I always end up getting mad at myself for leaving the stuff out where they can get it.
    Maggs recently posted..Honu Goals