Riding High – Geek Turned Athlete

Riding High

I’m hoping you think that I’ve been riding my bike a lot from the title of this post, NOT riding while high. I’m a cheap date, remember? And I’m clumsy. This is a bad combination on a bike. Wow. I’m totally going off on a tangent. Oops.

I miss you guys. Blogging has taken a back seat to training, sleeping, spending time with the hubs and Kai, and working. Work is kicking my butt, but I’m doing the best I can to manage my time well. I’m not an expert at that, but it is getting better. I’m sure in a couple more weeks, I will have a pretty steady routine (well, the best one possible with my weird work hours).

The riding has been great lately though. The weather, for the 1st time this year, has been nice for multiple days in a row. I’m sucking up as much sunshine as possible!! Oh, how I’ve missing you, Sun!!

Bike Wrappers sent me their wrappers to try, and I feel bad that I couldn’t do a “night” ride with them. The sun rises at 5am and sets at 9pm — precisely when I like to wake up and go to bed. These babies are going to be perfect to use when the sun starts setting at 4pm in the fall. I love the fact that they are easy to use, AND they make you more visible!! Safety first!!

IMAG0053.jpg

There is another wrapper that goes around the longer part of the bike frame, but mine was a little too thick for it to wrap around. Tri bikes are a little different than road bikes like that.

Here is what they should look like in the dark: image.jpg

BikeWrappers are both a safety product and an accessory that allows you to decorate your bicycle since they are reversible and the other side is a designer pattern. So think of them like reflective clothing, but for your bicycle. “

I like it!! So far this year, I’ve heard about 3 people in my immediate community getting hit by cars.. Not good. Seriously, make yourself visible out there!

Anyway, back to the riding…

DSC08260.JPG DSC08262.JPG

I think I had the bike wrapper on backwards here. Oops. Got it figured out!!

Gah, I really live in a beautiful area! This was taken at 7am this past Sunday morning. Gorgeous!

The path that I bike and run on sometimes has AWESOME views of the river.

DSC08272.JPG DSC08274.JPG

We just had to stop for a pic!

I know this post sounds really random, but I’ve got to get you guys caught up!

High School Reunion: Karma is a bitch. If you are mean to people in high school, you will gain at least 10 lbs and age 20 years before your 10 year reunion. It was great seeing and catching up with some people, but it sort of seemed like high school was still happening for a lot of my old classmates. Maybe the 20 year will be better? To make up for the lack luster reunion, I met up with some other friends and proceded to get wasted off of one mojito. It was a good night. 😉

And on that note: Kai is already passed out and snoring.  I better do the same!  Little does he know, he might be getting a furry brother soon!!

IMAG0072.jpg

• marisa July 5, 2011, 11:42 pm

I totally agree that karma is a bitch! I didn’t go to my 10yr reunion bc I didn’t really feel like flying across the pond to see these ppl who were mean and still living their HS yrs. I have notice that some ppl that were athletes and in shape during HS are now overweight and stuck living in the same place (mentally) as they were in HS. So you guys are thinking of getting another pup? Yay! They will love each others company. We come home and find all of the toys from the 2nd fl on the 1st and it makes me happy the boys are playing w/each other during the day :)

• Nicole July 8, 2011, 7:25 pm

That is what we want for Kai! I feel so bad that we aren’t home enough for him to play all the time!

• Lisa July 6, 2011, 3:45 am

Having attended my 25th (oh that sounds soooo old!), the HS ways do mellow out for the most part. And I agree with Marisa that most of the hotshots back-in-the-day are just…not-so-much today. Can’t wait to watch the Kai-sibling developments :)

• Nicole July 8, 2011, 7:15 pm

Yes, it is kinda funny how the guys I thought were so hot in H.S. are nothing special to look at now! haha

• lindsay July 6, 2011, 4:15 am

now that is a cool bike gadget. perfect for early morning rides! glad to see the reunion went well too! minus the old high school feel. Karma is right!

• Matt @ The Athlete's Plate July 6, 2011, 5:26 am

Yep, karma is a total bitch.

• Shannon @ Mon Amour July 6, 2011, 6:05 am

I can’t believe how many cyclists have been having run ins with cars lately. It is so scary. I always try to ride on the trail where there are no cars

• steff (steffsays) July 6, 2011, 9:32 am

my 10 yr reunion is this year too, although i don’t know if anyone is actually organizing anything. i know SO many people from my hometown are still living in the HS mindset…it’s going to be a weird world to step back into.

• Lisa July 6, 2011, 2:34 pm

What a nice looking, scenic ride!

• Tiffany @ Tiffany's Spartanette Training July 7, 2011, 6:49 am

Looks like a gorgeous ride!

My 10-year high school reunion was a few years ago. I didn’t go, knowing that 10 years wasn’t nearly enough time for most of the people I went to school with to grow up, and just didn’t feel like dealing with that (I’m getting better at avoiding drama at all costs these days). I do have several classmates from high school on my Facebook, so I can definitely echo the whole *le whisper* karma thing. I’ll probably go to the next one. :)

• Erica July 7, 2011, 5:24 pm

So glad to hear the riding is going well! YOu totally live in a gorgeous spot. Those bike wraps are a great idea and lovvvvve the picture of kai

• Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 8, 2011, 2:44 pm

Just found your blog…we have a weim too. She just turned 4 two days ago actually. Yours is a cutie!

• Nicole July 8, 2011, 7:24 pm

Thanks!! They are a handful, aren’t they?

• Fit Chick Britt July 8, 2011, 7:09 pm

Wow! I can see why you’d want to train a lot with those views!

• Madeline - Greens and Jeans July 10, 2011, 7:33 am

I have that same jersey! Such gorgeous scenery! If you’ve got to spend a lot of time on the bike, at least you have some beautiful things to look at along the way!

• Aimee July 11, 2011, 5:37 pm

Your such a young one!! :) I’m coming up on my 20 year, and what I can say is that those I cared about in HS are those who I try to keep in touch with anyway, so we always have fun regardless of the people who seem to stay stuck in HS patterns.

Nice to find your blog! :)