Time Flies – Geek Turned Athlete

Time Flies

When I saw this pic, I realized that I should probably trim my helmet strap. Oops. Give me a break! This is my 3rd helmet this year so far due to a very persistent puppy!

Where have I been? Working my butt off! My new job is slowly sucking the life from me, but I still enjoy the people and the work itself. And, the hubs and I had to leave Spokane in a hurry last weekend since my father had some medical issues come up.

Where I haven’t been: At the pool swimming or on the road riding my bike and running. Training (and blogging) has been put on the back burner for the last two weeks. To put it mildly, I have not been a happy camper about this especially since I have a Half Ironman coming up in two weeks, but sometimes life just happens, right? That was all up until this weekend. My friend, Lauren, agreed to ride the Troika course (the HIM we’ll be suffering through in two weeks) with me on Sunday.

It felt so good to be out there moving! I have also been wanting to let you guys know about a new sports drink that I have been using.

It is called Generation UCAN, and I LOVE it! I met a representative at Fitbloggin in May, and he sent me some samples to try. NO MORE stomach bloating during training/races. It is gluten free, and honestly, I really do love this product. You have to shake it up in your water bottle before you drink it, but I actually like the consistency and taste. I wasn’t expecting to like this, so I was pleasantly surprised. When I run out of samples, I do plan on buying more of this stuff.

I only thing I don’t like about it, is the fact that it is mostly corn based, and the corn is genetically modified. It would be nice if I saw a nonGMO little stamp on the package.

Back to the ride…

DSC08321.JPG  DSC08318.JPG

Absolutely gorgeous views.

DSC08322.JPG DSC08323.JPG

I’ve been thinking a lot lately about my future, and the fact that I am so lucky to be able to do the things that I do. Maybe my dad’s health spurred this thought. Life is TOO short to be doing something that you don’t enjoy whether that applies to your free time, work, whatever. .

What have you done lately to change your life for the better?

P.S. I signed up for the Lake Placid Ironman in 2012 today!!! Whoop!!!

• Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather July 25, 2011, 1:44 pm

I got certified as a group fitness instructor! Well I will get the news in a couple weeks but no more waiting for things to happen, I’m all about just going for things. That looks like such a pretty ride! Way to sign up for the race in 2012!

• Nicole July 25, 2011, 10:03 pm

Good for you!! 😉 I miss teaching SO MUCH!!

• Erica July 25, 2011, 2:07 pm

Hope your dad is doing better! The ride looks fabulous and id be all about trying this energy drink! I have been plugging along with teaching and exercising right up until the end of my pregnancy over here!

• Nicole July 25, 2011, 10:03 pm

You are so badass! 😉 I hope your pregnancy is going well!

• Shannon @ Mon Amour July 25, 2011, 2:09 pm

Yay Lake Placid! I have heard great things about the race and I am sure you will love- as much as you can love an Ironman course

• Lisa July 25, 2011, 2:23 pm

Those are really great photos!

I’ve been doing some soul searching too, trying to decide what’s important and what’s worth my time lately…

• lindsay July 25, 2011, 2:31 pm

glad to hear things are going well , besides the training that is. I am so pumped for you and IMLP!!!! I want to come watch. Or maybe run part!

• Maggs July 25, 2011, 4:04 pm

yay for Lake Placid. My coach sent me some UCAN recently. I really wanted to like it but my stomach just didn’t absorb it. I’ll try again next year when my long rides are only a few hours. I might have not had enough water or something.

• Megan July 25, 2011, 8:52 pm

Man, I need to come to your side of the state and ride – it looks beautiful! I agree, life is too short – get out there and have no regrets!

• Lisa July 26, 2011, 5:39 am

Family (especially when someone is not well) is so important and so motivating to keep yourself healthy and happy. Congrats on your entry to Lake Placid – very exciting!! I hope your father is doing better :)

• Katy Widrick July 26, 2011, 6:18 am

I am so proud of (and scared for) you for IM Lake Placid…you can do it!

So sorry about the family stuff :(

• Nicole July 30, 2011, 8:40 pm

Thank you! Family stuff is still sucking, but trying to be positive. I’m scared for IM Lake Placid too! haha

• Tiffany @ Tiffany's Spartanette Training July 27, 2011, 5:35 am

I hope your dad is okay! Times like that make you realize so much about your own life, your life with others, and of course, your life with training. It adds another spark that might inside you that might not have been lit quite yet.

I had a few friends that did IMLP Sunday, and they loved the course. Good luck!

• Anne Marie July 28, 2011, 6:42 am

What a gorgeous view! If I had those views, I would surely be getting outside everyday.

Hubby and I signed up for a half marathon in November, but man it’s hot here! We’re going on vacation in a couple days and are vowing to do something active each day. Hopefully that will jumpstart our willpower and desire to train!!