Meet Fay – Geek Turned Athlete

Meet Fay

I want to introduce you guys to the new addition to our family. Meet Fay. She was picked up by the humane society about a week ago wandering around Wenatchee with a little terrier mix (about 3 hrs away from me). She weighs 45 lbs, and she is very boney. All the folks at the shelter said that she was a sweetie. She doesn’t have a lot of confidence and is very timid. Since the shelter insisted on spaying her before I brought her home 3 hrs away, she has had a very rough week. I don’t know what she went through before the shelter picked her up, but I don’t think it was good. She was definitely slowly starving to death, and I think she was attacked several times by humans just because of the way she acts sometimes around me. The shelter thinks she is 1-2 years old.

IMG_0089.jpg

The shelter says she is a purebred which is why I find it odd that she was never microchipped. Since she was never spayed, I’m thinking maybe the previous owners wanted to breed her. The whole thing is just sad.

I didn’t think I could love any other dog as much as I love Kai, but I was wrong. Remember when we brought Kai home?

DSC07687.jpg

That 4 pound bundle of joy turned into a 75 pound dog who turns 1 year old in about a week.

IMG_0084.jpg

After puking the entire night after I brought her home (from the spaying and subsequent medication), she finally started eating yesterday afternoon. She has eaten more today. We have her on puppy food even though she is older than Kai. The vet said that will help her put some meat on her bones. I can’t even tell you how delicate she feels. When I pet her, all I feel is fur and bones. She should be 15 pounds heavier.

I had no idea if she was housebroken when I brought her home, and she seems to know what to do so far. We have only had one accident in the house, but I think it was because she was scared and hurting from the first night she was at our house.

IMG_0087.jpg

I was really worried about how she would do with Kai the day after I brought her home because I had to work that day. I came home to them rolling around in the grass together!! Kai has about 30 pounds on her, and I keep telling him to be careful. She is a little fighter though. She definitely snaps at him when he gets too rough– which he needs!

IMG_0101.jpg IMG_0102.jpg

After sleeping on the couch Tuesday night, I wanted to sleep in my bed. Fay’s stomach seemed to calm down so I carried her into my bed with Kai and me. They took up the entire bed!! This won’t be a normal occurrence since I need my sleep, but it was cute that they are bonding so much.

IMG_0106.JPG

Why another weim?? We LOVE the breed. We understand the breed. AND we are active enough for this breed. A lot of people want to adopt a Weimaraner just because they look so different from other dogs. They also act differently. They are often called the “Gray Ghost.” because they are literally attached to your hip wherever you let them go with you. Once they get attached to their “human,” it is a bond for life. They are great little runners and VERY protective. Weims LOVE to cuddle and are very intelligent.

The downside: Since they are very intelligent, they can get into a lot of trouble around the house. Our house is torn up because of Kai. Oye. Don’t get me started. He is finally starting to listen to me and not chew up EVERYTHING after a year. They have severe separation anxiety. You can’t just leave them alone for 12 hours a day. They will miss you too much. They have TONS of energy. We have been running Kai 3 miles/ day or hanging out at the dog park for an hour or two. Sometimes we throw in a 4-6 miler in there depending on how hyper he is. The vet didn’t want us to run him more than that within the first year.

I put in a search on petfinder.com a few months ago for a purebred weim within 6 hours driving distance from our house. Our first weim, Oliver, was a rescue. We wanted a weim puppy after he passed away and got Kai. We went with the rescue dog route again for Fay. One look at her pathetic (even more than the pics above of her) pic, and I knew we had to save her.

I don’t know if she is even leash trained, and I won’t get to find that out for another two weeks while she heals. We might go on a few walks here and there though until she gets her stitches out. Then, it will be a slow progression with the running to be able to keep up with her brother. I know she is gonna love the trails around our house as much as Kai does.

I kept whispering to her on the car ride home on Tuesday, “Don’t worry, little girl. You are safe now.”

• Lynne August 19, 2011, 4:32 am

I’m so glad that she has a loving, kind home now. I have a rescue dog and he brings me so much joy.

• lindsay August 19, 2011, 4:43 am

i love how your faimily is growing. Fay is adorable. What a great heart you have!

• Erica August 19, 2011, 5:54 am

Awww! Shes beautiful and so lucky to have you three
    Erica recently posted..Trader Joe’s Crab Cakes & Activia Giveaway

• Tiffany @ Tiffany's Spartanette Training August 19, 2011, 6:53 am

Congrats on the new addition, and congrats on adopting a little (or big!) one that needed someone to love them! I adopted my Siberian Husky 11 years ago, and I thank God for her every single day. It’s amazing to own a rockin’ dog, and it’s just as amazing to rescue one from Lord knows what. Blessings!
    Tiffany @ Tiffany’s Spartanette Training recently posted..Official and Trainer Tip Tuesday

• Kristina August 19, 2011, 7:07 am

I’m a new commenter, but I had to chime in here!
    I think the best decision that my partner and I have made so far was when we adopted two “old men”. It sounds silly to say that having dogs as a part of our lives has been transformational, but I would still say it!
    Fay looks like a total sweetheart – congrats on the addition.

• michelle August 19, 2011, 7:32 am

This post got me a bit teary eyed. Thanks for saving this girl, and so wonderful to see she is fitting in so great already!

• Rose @ Eternal Recess August 19, 2011, 9:40 am

Oh that’s wonderful! We recently rescued our fourth kitten. People think we’re nuts, but if you have the time, the space and the love – so many wonderful creatures need a warm, safe home. It brings me endless joy to see this sweet pup in your care!

• Courtney August 19, 2011, 9:45 am

I think this is so wonderful!! We adopted our chocolate lab riley when he was about 7 months old and have never considered buying a dog from a breeder again. Rescue dogs just have that extra something, probably from being through whatever they’ve been through. We fostered for a local group for a long time, it was just so hard to let them go! We’ve had several malnourished cases and the puppy food does seem to help a lot.

You’re awesome for doing this!
    Courtney recently posted..Just A Quick Rant…

• Lisa August 19, 2011, 9:57 am

ADORABLE! So glad they are bonding and getting used to each other.
    Lisa recently posted..East Coast Invasion

• Maggs August 19, 2011, 11:02 am

awww. she’s so cute. Thanks for rescuing her. I bet she and Kia will be come best buds and he might even settle down some too.

• Mary-Heather August 19, 2011, 12:20 pm

Congratulations on your new family member!! You did a wonderful thing in saving this girl!

• Marisa August 19, 2011, 1:17 pm

yay Kai has a sister to play with. So happy you were able to adopt and give her a happy, safe and entertaining home! They will definitely keep you on your toes. So happy for your family :)

• Lisa August 19, 2011, 3:31 pm

OMG, your whisper to Fay (“Don’t worry, little girl. You are safe now.”) choked me up! We’re Lab lovers, but all dogs are so amazing…..Fay is indeed very lucky :)

• Melissa August 19, 2011, 3:46 pm

What a beautiful girl she is! Such a sad, yet heartwarming story! I’m sure Fay is happy to have found her “forever home” where she will be forever loved. Congrats!
    Melissa recently posted..3 provinces, 2,300 kilometers, 365 days later

• Kara August 19, 2011, 4:06 pm

You are awesome for taking her in. I know how hard rescue dogs can be and it sounds like she found the perfect home!
    Kara recently posted..If only dollars were like calories…

• Leila @ Spinach and Skittles August 19, 2011, 10:40 pm

Oh my goodness, she is adorable. Congrats on the new addition!
    Leila @ Spinach and Skittles recently posted..The proper way to eat applesauce

• sian August 20, 2011, 7:15 am

Crying reading this….so glad you found each other!
    sian recently posted..Do you Relate to Celebrities that Yo-Yo Diet?

• Toronto Girl West August 20, 2011, 7:12 pm

What goodies you are for taking another puppy in!!! Your two Weims are beyond blessed to have you two as fur parents! :)
    Toronto Girl West recently posted..Rocky Mountain High

• Heather (Where's the Beach) August 22, 2011, 3:12 pm

She is absolutely gorgeous! So happy for you guys and thank you for taking in a rescue. Of course, it’s so hard to believe she was a rescue. Incredible.
    Heather (Where’s the Beach) recently posted..Super Saturday and Lazy but Productive Sunday

• Zoey August 24, 2011, 5:27 pm

wow! A little sister for Kai :) Congrats on the new family addition and I hope she’s a good daughter to you!

• Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama August 26, 2011, 8:49 pm

She is beautiful! I am so thankful that there are good people in the world still. Every creature deserves to live a life full of joy and love. =)
    Tasha – The Clean Eating Mama recently posted..The Mighty Avocado

• Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking August 28, 2011, 8:22 am

Oh my goodness she is so sweet looking. I think it is wonderful that they have bonded like they have.I agree it is so nice that you have such a good heart and adopted her. I have never understood why people are abusive to animals.

• Katy @ MonsterProof August 29, 2011, 7:44 am

She’s so beautiful and so lucky to have you!
    Katy @ MonsterProof recently posted..There are some unique people out there

• Nicole August 29, 2011, 11:31 am

Oh My God Nicole!! Fay is so precious. I’ve been MIA so catching up on my blogs and of course your one of my favs!! I’m so glad she got you and hubby for her parents and Fay and Kai will become best buddies.

I have lots of catching up to do on your blog. Just wanted to say hello, Fay and Kai are beautiful, like their owners!! :)

• MizFit August 31, 2011, 2:49 am

ahh this made me tear up.
    and miss my bullmastiff.
    MizFit recently posted..What’s the point of compression sleeves?

• Jordan K. September 7, 2011, 10:00 am

Such a lovely post! Good for you for rescuing such a beautiful, and I’m sure loving, dog. I adopted a terrier mix from my local pound a few months back, and she was much the same as Fay was, underweight, timid, and not very sure of herself. However, much to my amazement, after just a few short weeks her strength built and she certainly came out of her shell! I love dogs for their steadfast resiliency – I find it gives me hope for when I am faced with tough times/situations. Now she’s my little buddy and I am honestly so glad I took a leap of faith and adopted her. Congrats, I’m sure Kai will love his new play pal!

• Nicole September 7, 2011, 6:27 pm

Oh, and she has come out of her shell! haha. Good for you for adopting a dog. Isn’t it funny how they just work their way into your heart?

• That Pink Girl September 14, 2011, 6:30 pm

Oh, this brought tears to my eyes! Poor little dog! So, so thankful you have given her a forever home and a new lease on life. She’s just beautiful!

• Samantha @ Bikini Birthday September 20, 2011, 8:15 am

Aww… it is so sweet that you welcomed this adorable little dog into your home! She’s gorgeous.

• Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday September 20, 2011, 8:15 am

Aww…it is so sweet that you welcomed this adorable little dog into your home! She’s gorgeous.

• Shannon @ A Pinch of Ginger October 18, 2011, 10:49 am

Awww your pups are so cute! I am a weim sister :) My parents have a 5 year old named Dakota and she is the love of our lives, so sweet, very smart and a really good dog. I would have to agree about loving the breed as well. Now if I can only get my landlord to allow me to have one ;)