Consistency Realization - Geek Turned Athlete

Consistency Realization

This weekend included smash sessions that not only reminded me that I need to be more consistent with my workouts, but that nutrition is going to be very important come Ironman race day.

There was some weight lifting, swimming, running, and cycling happening this weekend, and I loved/hated every minute of it.

Do you ever feel like there aren’t enough hours in the day to get everything that you need done? And it has nothing to do with you being lazy, you have just too many things going on? That has been my life as of late. And that is the reason for the lack of blogging.

316780_2203550260803_1608750349_2221492_228308_n.jpg

Why don’t I ever look badass on the bike??? Caught mid-chat right then.

We recently found out that Fay is a little escape artist (maybe the reason why she was homeless to begin with?), and we have had to completely rethink/rebuild our fencing situation at our house. She also has a heart murmur. Poor girl. She is coming out of her shell though, and she loves us to death. Kai is getting extremely jealous.

Add work, the hubs fracturing his foot during Leadville (he is still on crutches and not able to do much), hubby’s work social events (if you are military, you know what I mean), family visiting, and other crap that I have said yes to even though I should have said no, and you get a crazy person with no time for anything else!! Training has been minimal. That is, up until now.

It is time to get jump back on the wagon, err bike. It hit me this week that I have a marathon in one month and an Ironman in less than 3 months. Panic has officially taken over. I feel like I’m cramming for a test. haha. I rode this weekend with a great guy who has done a few Ironmans, and he totally calmed my nerves. He said that 3 months is plenty of time to get back on track and have a great Ironman (sub-14 goal for my 1st one). It is time for consistency to come back into my life, and I am welcoming it with open arms.

I have no more family coming into town for a while, and the only traveling we are doing is for the Portland marathon in October. I have already started saying “No” to several things that have come up. I can’t change the number of hours in the day (Oh, wouldn’t that be nice?), but I can change how I spend them. I have scheduled in my workouts with work and other happenings for the next two weeks. We shall see what happens!!

I will leave you with torturous ice bath photos after a horrific 16 mile track workout from Saturday…

DSC00134.jpg DSC00135.jpg DSC00136.jpg

DSC00138.jpg  DSC00140.jpg

My husband was in heaven taking these photos. He sat there chatting with me to make sure I stayed in for a while. He is so tough on me!! At least he made me some tea. 😉

Are you consistent with your workouts? Do you have problems saying “NO” ?

• Colleen September 7, 2011, 7:41 pm

Yikes, a 16 mile track workout?! That’s insane! You’ll totally be ready for ironman in 3 months! 🙂 it’ll be awesome! I wish there were more hours in the day too.

• Fit Chick Britt September 7, 2011, 7:47 pm

Random, but I LOOOOVE the tiles in your bathroom! You are a busy lady with Ironman training, working, and a new doggie, but I do miss your posts! 🙂

• Stephanie @ LiveLikeAGrrl... September 8, 2011, 4:42 am

I second the comment above. Love love love the tile in your bathroom!

• Nicole September 8, 2011, 8:23 am

I think it is really funny that you are saying that because I HATE that bathroom’s tile!! haha. It seriously looks like there was a sample sale on tiles, and the previous owner bought random tiles because he was cheap. Thank you though! I hope you guys will like it when it is re-tiled as well!

• pathguy September 8, 2011, 6:01 am

Totally agree about not having enough hours in the day, although I think that doing some activity, especially in the morning, somehow makes me more efficient and energized throughout the day. Never did an ice bath, but I’ve heard it is good for quicker recovery?
    pathguy recently posted..Born to Run: Prologue

• Nicole September 8, 2011, 8:21 am

It is supposed to cut down on soreness the next day, but I still had a very hard time getting down stairs the next day. 😉

• Ty September 8, 2011, 8:34 am

A great ice bath tip. Start with cool/cold water THEN add the ice once you’re in. Much easier!
    Ty recently posted..Why Triathlons Are Like Frat Houses

• Nicole September 8, 2011, 9:21 am

Good idea!!! That bath was just plain painful the first 5 minutes!

• Lisa September 8, 2011, 9:49 am

What’s a smash workout?

My workouts are consistent. Always. That’s the one thing I have going for me. Everyone in my life knows that my workout schedule is important to me so they are pretty accommodating when it comes to making plans. I can switch up my workouts as long as I have a little bit of notice.

• Nicole September 8, 2011, 10:04 am

Not a specific workout, but just one that smashes you. ie: 16 mile track workout followed by swiim speedwork, or 4 hour ride followed by 45 min run and 1 hr weights. 😉

Wow. You are very lucky people are willing to accommodate you. My grandma was here to visit, and she got up earlier than expected. I was going to get in a 16 miler before she woke up. Instead we went on a nice little walk together, then went fishing. And you know what? I don’t regret spending every second with her while she was visiting for 5 days. I don’t know how much longer she will be alive. 😉

My dad’s health has been pretty bad lately, and impromptu trips to Seattle have not been helping my workout situation either! That is life though!

• Lisa September 8, 2011, 10:05 am

That’s nice you got to spend time with your grandma. I just meant that I fit in my workouts without sacrificing time with family/friends. For example: we went on vacation with my parents and I got up early with my dad to go for runs in the desert before my mom and boyfriend got up. Or when the bf’s family was visiting, I got up extra early to workout before they were up.
        Lisa recently posted..25 and Hot

• Nicole September 8, 2011, 10:07 am

I knew what you meant! 🙂 Those are great ideas. That was actually my plan while the grandma was in town, but she is getting up at 5am now instead of sleeping in like she used to. I was like, “What are you doing up?!” haha

• Heidi Nicole September 8, 2011, 7:29 pm

Haha, love the ice bath photos…I feel your pain! My husband would be laughing at me the entire time!

I’m consistent with my workouts for a few weeks than I start getting silly and jumping around. I think my brain just gets tired of it!
    Heidi Nicole recently posted..Fall-ish Weather = Fast-ish Runs

• Courtney @ Third Time's A Charm September 8, 2011, 9:40 pm

We’re thinking of adopting another doggy too. Glad to hear that Fay is loving you all. That ice bath looks like torture. I have a 10 miler saturday and think there’s no way to get around the ice bath afterwards. i’m cold just thinking about it!
    Courtney @ Third Time’s A Charm recently posted..Thirsty Thursday… And playing fantasy football in the same league as your husband may lead to divorce.

• MizFit September 9, 2011, 3:31 am

I know I could do a lot more (and as I age I probably should) but for me the decision was made 18 ish years ago to just do a little, every day, until Im dead:)
    and Im sticking with that.

xo
    MizFit recently posted..Ahhh the guilt.

• Nicole September 9, 2011, 12:30 pm

I think that is a good thing. Once I get through the next couple of Ironmans, I will be happy and content with doing just a little bit every day!