Tapering for IMAZ – Geek Turned Athlete

Tapering for IMAZ

Wow, the last couple of weeks have gone by so incredibly fast. I cannot believe that I will be an Ironman in 5 days. It is kinda freaky!

IMG_0289.jpg

Tapering has been fun. I’ve gotten to really enjoy the fall weather with the extremely slow weekend runs.  My coach says that it is important to get used to running slower than normal for a least a few runs to simulate Ironman marathon pace.  For those of you who don’t know, your Ironman marathon pace is approximately (or it should be) 1:30min/mile slower than your stand alone marathon min/mile pace.  What did that mean for me?  9:45 and 10 min/miles.  It was really hard to do these runs!!  We would be talking and not notice that we were running 8:30 min/miles.  Crap!  Gotta slow down!!

IMG_0309.JPG  IMG_0308.jpg

Our hair is actually frozen. My eyelashes actually had little icicles on them before I went in to grab my phone after our 1 hr 45 min run!

Then, it snowed last weekend…

IMG_0324.JPG

Snow eating ensued…

IMG_0325.JPG IMG_0326.JPG

Riding my bike outside was OUT of the question so the trainer

IMG_0331.jpg

and Real Housewives of Atlanta were utilized!!

IMG_0332.JPG IMG_0334.JPG

Do you like all the crap on the carpet? Who knows what the dogs chewed up?! They managed to get a tree branch through the dog door tonight. I swear, if you turn you back on them, they are just like kids!!!

Or they play nice and cuddle together…

IMG_0328.JPG

Hehe. I know. I know. It is just SO freaking cute. I had to throw it in there somewhere for you guys to see. 😉

Oh! And I bought some new running shoes. For some reason, my Brooks were still hurting my arches with or without my inserts. I don’t know what is up with that. All I know is that if they hurt after an hour run, it probably would be worse during an Ironman marathon. Yep. So I got some Saucony’s. So far, so good!!! I plan to wear these puppies for the race!

IMG_0337.jpg

Everyone who knows that I will be racing on Sunday has called me or come up to me to ask me, “Are you excited? Are you nervous?” I’m not even kidding you, I swear at least 40 people in the last two weeks have asked me those questions in that order. At first, I was excited, and I felt thankful that they even thought to ask me about how I was feeling. Today, not so much.

It finally hit me yesterday that I will be competing in an Ironman. I started to feel nauseous. I know people care, and I SO SO appreciate the support, but I would rather them tell me that I’m going to do great or give me a fun fact about the course than ask me if I’m nervous. It does nothing but bring it to my attention that I’m nervous! I know that sounds stuck up, but that is the way I’m feeling!! Let’s just put it this way: I was so relieved when my sister called to talk to me yesterday about her breast feeding issues than how I was feeling for the race!! haha

At least, swim practice went really well last night, AND I got to talk with my coach for a little while. He always calms my nerves. He claims that I am ready for this thing, and he knows his stuff so I’m going to believe him or at least try!

IMG_0340.JPG IMG_0341.jpg

Positive thoughts!!! I just need to keep believing what I have been the last few weeks. I AM ready for this thing. I have trained. I have done the work. Now it is time to reap the benefits! 😉

• Jess November 15, 2011, 6:33 am

Seriously, you’re amazing. Cannot even believe you’ll be in Ironman in FIVE days!! Insane.
    Jess recently posted..Head, shoulders, knees and toes, knees and toes

• Laura November 15, 2011, 7:10 am

Have a GREAT time and race! I will be there to cheer on my coach who is also racing.
    Laura recently posted..It’s not all about oatmeal

• Nicole November 15, 2011, 7:21 am

I’ll be in Team Blaze gear and a Swifts visor on the run! Say hi if you see me!!

• Beth November 15, 2011, 7:21 am

I’m so excited for you!! Have fun with the rest of taper and good luck in Arizona!
    Beth recently posted..Philly Half Training Day 3

• Amber November 15, 2011, 7:24 am

Good luck in Arizona. I will be down there cheering on some friends. Finishing an Ironman is an amazing experience. Don’t forget that you only have one first!

• Emily November 15, 2011, 8:52 am

I felt the exact same way about people’s comments before IM. I totally shut down and ignored all social media and stopped talking to anyone about it. As you said, you’ve done the work and you’re ready, so definitely spend your last few days thinking about other things rather than stressing :) And then enjoy the hell out of the experience!
    Emily recently posted..The Dual Sufferfest

• Lisa November 15, 2011, 1:15 pm

GOOD LUCK! You’re gonna rock it!

And snow?!?!
    Lisa recently posted..What Is Your Boulder?

• Marisa November 15, 2011, 11:42 pm

First OMG I love the picture of the babies cuddling!!! TOO STINKIN CUTE! And second, I have always admired you and your athletic skills – so I know you’re going to do phenomenal – no doubt! If I were close by I’d go cheer for you – I’ll cheer for you from Germany :)

• Nicole November 16, 2011, 11:16 am

Thanks, girl!!

• Amber from Girl with the Red Hair November 16, 2011, 11:09 am

Good luck! You will do awesome!! That puppy picture is the best :)

• Lisa November 16, 2011, 1:03 pm

You ARE going to be great! Enjoy every moment :)
    Lisa recently posted..Woof – A Guest Post by Bella

• Sana November 16, 2011, 5:19 pm

Call me! We can talk about my mid life crisis :)

• tea November 17, 2011, 2:19 pm

I know I haven’t posted any comments in awhile, but I’ve been following along. I stopped by just to say Good Luck, have fun and SMILE. I’ll be tracking you!
    tea recently posted..Not going down without a fight

• jason @ personal trainer November 17, 2011, 3:01 pm

WOW! Much respect to you. No way could I even consider an Iron Man.

Best of luck on Sunday!