Moving Again! – Geek Turned Athlete

Moving Again!

This past weekend was great for training! Saturday was a real eye opener for me in regards to needing to get on the bike more. Eeek. It was my second ride outside for the season, and my work schedule has been limiting me to riding outside only on the weekends.

On Saturday, I also finally pulled my Ironman Arizona sticker with my bib number on it off of my bike. Yes, I’m aware that it has been on my bike since November! If you have ever done an Ironman or any race that you are particularly proud of, you would understand.  Kai thought it was food and wanted to eat it.

wpid-IMG_0701-2012-04-25-22-21.jpg

I’m not going to lie, the ride was fairly painful. It was 62 miles. I was going as fast as I could, and most of my team seemed to fade away in the distance ahead.

wpid-IMG_0702-2012-04-25-22-21.jpg

At least I had some teammates to keep me company all the way until the end.

wpid-IMG_0704-2012-04-25-22-21.jpg

wpid-IMG_0707-2012-04-25-22-21.jpg

AND I forgot to wear sunscreen. It looks like I have red matching long gloves and thigh highs on permanently. This happens every spring.  I don’t know why I haven’t learned my lesson after 29 years.  Apparently, it takes me one burn every spring, to remind myself to put it on for the rest of the year.

All I wanted to do was get off the bike. My lady bits (ack!  Poor things were not used to all the bumpy roads!) were looking forward to the run afterwards, but my legs did not like it very much!! I told them to run, and they did. Not very fast though.

I talked to my coach after everything on Saturday, and we agreed that I need to spend more time on the bike OUTSIDE. It is a good thing the weather is cooperating. Riding in 40 degrees is not fun. Riding in the 70’s is much better!

I finished off my massive brick of a 1 hr swim, 62 mile bike, 30 minute run with a green smoothie, an ice bath, and compression socks. Can you believe that I got so many comments on how ugly this looks on facebook when I posted it on Saturday? Sometimes I forget how things might seem normal in the blogging world and really far out there in the “real” world. Kai LOVES his green monsters! What can I say? 😉

wpid-IMG_0712-2012-04-25-22-21.jpg

AND, if you haven’t heard: We are moving AGAIN!!!! Two years in Spokane have gone by fast, and I cannot believe we are moving again. We could have been here for 5 years or 1 year. Two is better than one! The military is taking the hubs to San Antonio this summer. I put my two weeks in at my work this Monday since there are a lot of loose ends that we have to tie up before we leave. It is time for another adventure. I’m going to be sad to leave Team Blaze and all the wonderful people that we have met here, but that is military life!

I have heard nothing but good things about San Antonio, and I can’t wait to tour the city. 😉

Have any of you ever been to San Antonio?? Pointers?  Tips?? Comments?

• Heather (Where's the Beach) April 25, 2012, 6:09 am

I’ve been to SA once and loved it. I’ve got a friend who lives there. Such exciting news for you guys!
    Heather (Where’s the Beach) recently posted..Short Shorts & Spaghetti Squash & Spinach Toss

• Amy April 25, 2012, 6:19 am

I’m drinking a green monster as i read this-totally normal!

• Nicole April 25, 2012, 10:47 am

I need a “like” button for my comments!

• Marisa April 25, 2012, 6:47 am

First of all, green monsters taste amazing! I get the same reaction at work when I drink them but once they taste some, they understand. So you’re moving to SA, does this mean the hubs will be an instructor? I can’t believe it’s been two yrs already! Good luck.

• Nicole April 25, 2012, 10:45 am

Nope, he’ll be at Randolph. 😉 Thanks!

• donna April 25, 2012, 6:49 am

I guess I’m kinda odd then because that smoothie is making my mouth water. I’ll really miss you and your friendly face at the pool. Hopefully we will cross paths at an IM race sometime down the track. I’ll be keeping up with all your adventures so remember to keep blogging :-)

• Nicole April 25, 2012, 8:27 am

Maybe I’ll be as fast as you in the pool someday! 😉 I’ll miss you too!

• Mary@FitandFed April 25, 2012, 4:58 pm

The monster smoothie– totally normal, you see them everywhere. The monster workout? I’m really impressed. I figure skate and we don’t have to do anything too endurance-oriented like that. My program is just a couple of minutes long.

Best of luck as you figure out your move. I hope you find good coaches and teammates in San Antonio. At least you won’t have winter to deal with so much for your rides.
    Mary@FitandFed recently posted..Chocolate Orange Jalapeno Sorbet

• Tiffany April 29, 2012, 4:56 pm

Coming to SA, eh? :) I think you’ll like it here. Austin isn’t too far away, we don’t get snow (WE GET ICE, but that’s about it), and the tri community is becoming bigger and bigger each year. The city is going through a major overhaul, with a huge emphasis on fitness and wellness. Guess SA finally got tired of being on the top 10 list for “Nation’s fattest cities”. Let me know if you have any questions.

• Nicole April 30, 2012, 9:48 am

Do you live in SA?

• Tiffany April 30, 2012, 10:01 am

Why yes, I do!

• Nicole April 30, 2012, 10:10 am

We will have to get together then, once I get down there! 😉

• Tiffany April 30, 2012, 10:26 am

You bet! Let me know if there is any information you need. I know when I moved to Germany I was a complete basket-case asking my friends questions who had lived there. Ask away! :)

• Jeline May 4, 2012, 2:07 am

You know, we have moved almost 5 times for about 10years.. Its just crazy but sometimes its good because we knew a lot of people in different places..
    Jeline recently posted..Online Job Stories

• Nicole May 16, 2012, 3:51 pm

I agree! I feel like we will know someone in nearly every state pretty soon!

• Tammy May 8, 2012, 11:17 am

Wow…has it been two years? I started following your blog when you were overseas (about 4 months before you moved to Spokane). Now, you’re coming to my state!! yay! I want to apologize in advance for the heat you’re about to endure…
    Tammy recently posted..Dadgum Rodents…

• Nicole May 16, 2012, 3:51 pm

haha. I’m ready for it! I just turned off my heat in Spokane 3 days ago!!

• Jerrah May 9, 2012, 12:01 am

Hi.. Good luck for you and for your family.. Actually, We are about to move as well by the time we get our new house..