Climbing to the Top! – Geek Turned Athlete

Climbing to the Top!

This week, Tristin and I met for a HILLY bike ride near the Palouse Hwy in Spokane. These hills were crazy!!! It seemed like every time we turned a corner, there was a hill. This pic is of one of the few false flats that we rode on. Beautiful!

wpid-IMG_0795-2012-05-25-11-42.jpg

wpid-IMG_0797-2012-05-25-11-42.jpg

wpid-IMG_0800-2012-05-25-11-42.jpg

One hill in particular, you had to switchback your way up. My legs were burning, and I asked Tristin if she was trying to kill me.  I was honestly contemplating walking my bike up. HOWEVER, I didn’t, and this was our reward…

wpid-IMG_0802-2012-05-25-11-42.jpg

We stood up there for a couple of minutes to just take it all in.  I kept thinking to myself how lucky I was that I had the opportunity to live in Spokane for at least the short while that I did.

And this was our second reward: Gluten free pastries and lattes.

wpid-IMG_0805-2012-05-25-11-42.jpg

Life is good! Enjoy the journey!!!

P.S. If you need a little extra motivation today, watch this video.  I swear, watching videos like this make me cry EVERY TIME!

• Sana May 25, 2012, 5:01 pm

I only bike around the small lake by my house and my legs KILLL going up a slight slope, I can’t even imagine a hill!
    Sana recently posted..Yoga Stresses Me Out {GIVEAWAY}

• Nicole May 28, 2012, 9:37 pm

haha. That is how Florida is. The hills suck here, but I know they are making me stronger!

• Sarah B May 28, 2012, 5:47 pm

Good on you! I’m terrified of the hills part of my race coming up – do you do a lot of leg workouts to prepare? I’m definitely lacking on that front.

• Nicole May 28, 2012, 9:38 pm

No, and I probably should! I just got back on the strength training train, and I’m hoping it will help me with the hills!

• Melissa May 31, 2012, 1:43 pm

I just LOVE that video. Makes me want to do a full IM so badly!!! So jealous of that view! :)
    Melissa recently posted..RacECAP: Lonestar Half Ironman 2012 *The Ride

• Leigh May 31, 2012, 2:06 pm

How can you not cry at the end of that video?! So many emotions coming from the athletes! I had been thinking about signing up as a volunteer at the half ironman here in July, and that video has made me definitely want to.

• Matt @ The Athlete's Plate June 1, 2012, 4:41 pm

I wish I could ride but my bike was stolen :(
    Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..Take The Bull By The Horns

• Nicole June 5, 2012, 2:14 pm

Sad face. Could your renters insurance or car insurance cover the loss of your bike??

• Robin June 4, 2012, 11:41 pm

Lovely scenery, what a pretty place to be riding in! I have to know, where are those gorgeous gluten-free pastries?? Might have to taste some next time I am in Spokane!

• Nicole June 5, 2012, 2:14 pm

Rocket Market. It is a gas station too. Totally weird, but they sell great wine too! And in the summer, they have live music on Tuesday and Thursday nights. 😉

• Thalia June 6, 2012, 1:44 am

Love those photos you have shared and the video as well.. Anyway, I hope someday I can try riding a bicycle and get its benefits for the body..
    Thalia recently posted..Getting Healthy Today