More Test Results Part 2 – Geek Turned Athlete

More Test Results Part 2

wpid-IMG_2114-2013-08-16-14-30.jpg

It is amazing how much my health has changed within the last few weeks. Last time I posted about my test results, we talked about delayed onset sensitivities. This post won’t be as scientific, but I still felt it important enough to share my test results with others since there is a good chance that these issues have been overlooked by your doctor. I am only speaking from my own experiences, of course. It only took me over 7 years of pain, suffering, seeing many different doctors from all over the country (and Germany), many MANY hours of researching on my own, and finally seeing the RIGHT doctor to figure this out.…

Okay. What else did my doc find??

I had two parasites, an H. pylori infection (bacterial), and an intestinal fungal infection. Sounds like fun, eh? So, even though I had cut out almost every offending food from my diet (FODMAPS, grains, legumes, dairy, etc.), I was still having digestive issues, fatigue, etc. because of this. You can’t heal your gut if you have infections that are constantly reeking havoc on your body. You need to take care of these things before you can start to heal.

Why did I have all these infections? Since, I was eating foods that were causing my body to attack itself for pretty much my entire life, it left my digestive system open for infection. And inflammation. And therefore more damage.

Also, the standard stool testing for these infections is flawed. The normal tests that are performed take a sample from your stool, and look at it under the microscope. If they didn’t happen to grab a section that contained the actual parasite, you may get a false negative result. The testing that I had done, tests for DNA so it is much more accurate.

My ANA levels were very high possibly indicating an autoimmune disorder. I still don’t know what autoimmune disorder. I still have MANY questions regarding this test that happened to come to me after my last visit with my doc. All I know is that my body is attacking itself instead of invaders. More testing is needed, but this definitely somewhat explains why my inflammatory markers were incredibly high.

My amino acids and neurotransmitters were VERY low. I had been telling my doctors for years that I was suffering from anxiety and some mild depression. The only thing they wanted to do for me was prescribe an anti-anxiety drug or anti-depressant. I didn’t want to be medicated, so I stopped mentioning it. I always knew SOMETHING was off with my body, and the drugs seemed like they would be just “treating the symptoms.” The way Dr. Myers described her thoughts on this was: If someone has ADHD, they are not Ritalin deficient. They are not missing Ritalin in their brain, and therefore they need to take Ritalin. I believe she nailed it right on the head there.

Dr. Myers looked at my lab results regarding my amino acids and neurotransmitter levels, and told me that she sees these values in people who are vegans (and I’m guessing she meant vegans who don’t know how to get their protein in), and she was not surprised at all that I was having anxiety and depression issues. Not only do amino acids contribute to muscle growth (just in case you didn’t know, amino acids are the building blocks of proteins), but they also contribute to formation of neurotransmitters which are responsible for mood, concentrating, memory, and many other important functions within the body.  The testing that I had done came back with very specific amino acid deficiencies.

I’m currently taking a custom amino acid blend, and I feel like a completely different person. The smile that I used to have all the time is back, my energy levels are getting much better, and I’m actually leaning out to my old body.  I honestly thought that I was going crazy, and it turns out that my body wasn’t able to break down the proteins that I was eating. I didn’t need Prozac. haha. This probably could open up a conundrum for all of you to ponder now concerning antidepressants and anti-anxiety medications.

This also may explain why I was having such a hard time building muscle especially within the last year. Everyone just kept saying that I was getting older, but something just didn’t seem right!! I know that I keep saying that, but the older I get, the more I just need to listen to my own judgement!

So, what was causing my amino acids and neurotransmitters to be low? I have no idea. It could be my leaky gut that is preventing me from breaking down protein into amino acids and absorbing them. We aren’t sure right now. Currently, we are focusing on taking care of the infections, healing my gut, then we will retest to see what is up.

Our immune system is so complex!  My Immunology professor shared with us that probably 1/4 of what was in our text books last semester was not known 5 years ago.  What does that mean for you?  If you think something is going on healthwise, and you aren’t getting the response you think you should from the doc, change doctors or start doing your research!  Doctors work so much that it is impossible for them to keep up with all the new studies that are coming out.

Anyway, those were the majority of my test results.  Interesting stuff for sure.  Let me know what you think.

Have you had testing like this before??

• Kerry@The Adventures of Z & K September 18, 2013, 4:53 am

Just came across your blog and every post I’ve read about your IBS journey has been eerily familiar. I’ve gone through years of doctor visits and self-research to try and figure out what is wrong only to be dismissed by doctors giving me antacids and advice to eat more fiber and sending me on my way. It’s been extremely stressful and frustrating to know something is wrong but not be able to figure exactly what.

I’ve never looked in to functional medicine but after reading these posts it sounds like it could be exactly what I need! Maybe there is hope after all!
    Kerry@The Adventures of Z & K recently posted..[Wedding] September Planning Update

• Nicole September 18, 2013, 12:20 pm

Kerry, there is hope. I’m starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Many functional medicine docs do not take insurance (you need to pay in advance, then submit to your insurance to be reimbursed). It is worth it to me. My husband and I have made sacrifices in order for me to be treated, but it is worth a year of me not shopping for clothing or vacations. Please consider that when looking into functional med docs. 😉 Good luck!!!!! Don’t give up!

• lindsay September 18, 2013, 6:23 am

i think you went through everything i did. wow, parasites and all. So glad to have you back and smiling! <3

• Nicole September 18, 2013, 12:16 pm

Thank you!! It is good to be back! It has been so long since I have felt this way that I almost forgot what it was like. I’m so happy that you are writing about taking it easy and slowing down on your website. I’ve finally gotten to the point of accepting that working out for 3 hours a week is enough for right now especially with my schedule and the healing that needs to take place. I must say, it is liberating to not have to worry about working out. I only do what my body is up to, nothing more, and it seems to be working for me. 😉

• Alicia September 18, 2013, 8:52 am

I find this so interesting and now I want to go back and get further tests done. Thank you for sharing this!

• Nicole September 18, 2013, 12:14 pm

No problem! 😉 Yes, I find all of this fascinating!! The more I learn, the more I want to learn!

• jrm September 18, 2013, 7:48 pm

Fascinating and a bit “duh” about the poop testing (not duh on your end, just duh that a more accurate/appropriate analysis hasn’t been done before). Slightly sad that it’s taken so long for some real answers but glad you have found a path out.

• Hanna October 3, 2013, 9:16 am

I did, and while I enjoyed several months of placebo effect, my foray into FM now represents hundreds of wasted dollars on diagnostic tests and unsustainable, unnecessary dietary changes. Tough lesson! They all cry candida, and neurotransmitter “tests” are notoriously inaccurate. http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/bogus-diagnostic-tests/

• Nicole October 7, 2013, 9:24 am

Hmm, it seems that the neurotransmitter test that is notoriously inaccurate is the saliva one. Is that the one that you had? I had the blood test. According to what I am learning in my microbiology course, candida can do some serious damage to the intestinal tract. It makes sense to me to treat it.

• Anna June 26, 2014, 8:58 pm

Hi Nicole,
    I too have been through everything in the hopes of curing ibs. I have spent literally thousands and thousands of dollars over the past 20 years. Dietary changes, every imaginable supplement, juice fasts, water fasts, fecal transplant, paleo – I’m saying everything! Food sensitivity testing is not helpful and in fact just limits healthy nutrition. Nothing but nothing has worked for very long – perhaps a few months of relief but it comes back and you get to the point of being able to eat nothing. Finally my cure has been eating 4 apples a day and journaling as described in a book by a lady who worked with Dr Sarno. Since my cure I eat a diet that isn’t highly processed (meat, veggies, eggs, whole wheat, rice etc) but I do indulge every day and I drink coffee. I never forget my 4 apples as they have been life-saving. Good luck on your journey!

• Brian July 3, 2014, 1:32 pm

Hi Nicole, I came across your blog googling about zonulin since my test results just came back off-the-charts high (2032 ng/mL). I wanted to mention some resources I’ve found helpful and since your ANA was positive you might do well on the Paleo Auto-Immune protocol. This website has been great for me: http://www.thepaleomom.com/autoimmunity and their podcast “The Paleo View” is good too.

Anyway, I’m glad to hear that you’ve been getting a lot better. And with all your paleo knowledge I bet you’ve already heard about this diet.

Good luck!

• Nicole October 23, 2014, 10:57 am

Thanks, Brian!

• Nicole August 17, 2014, 9:43 pm

Your story is a duplicate of the last 5 years of my life! I’m also in Austin, and also an athlete so I feel your pain. Considering finding a doctor to do the food sensitivity test for sure.

For the H.Ployori i’ve been tested before but by blood and it was negative. Curious if you had the blood or breath test for that?

• Nicole October 23, 2014, 10:54 am

I had a stool test for H. Pylori. Are you feeling any better?